Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at email@example.com.
August’s winner: Jane Cracraft of St. Louis Park
Republic (opens this fall)
3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
The new Uptown location of Republic is going to have around 45-52 tap beers available. The existing Republic on the West Bank has 54 taps.
So when the new one opens in late fall, owner Matty O’Reilly (above) will have around 100 beers to play with.
“I might be able to get more adventurous, because I don’t want the beer lists to mirror each other,” he said. “This one will look a lot different than Seven Corners.”
The beer list may differ, but overall the new Republic will stick to the same things that have helped the original be successful: solid food, a dazzling drink selection, and a knowledgeable staff.
One big difference, though, is that the Uptown Republic is in an even higher-profile location: the former Independent at Lake and Hennepin. Ringed on two sides by giant windows overlooking the intersection, Republic intends to become a mainstay from lunchtime on.
“The Independent and The Smiling Moose, the tenants here before us, had a very night-time, dark focus,” O’Reilly said. “With the vibrant corner and all the natural light, we actually have an opportunity to see lunch, happy hour, and the dinner crowd as well as the late night.”
The food will initially be similar to Republic’s theme of burgers and small plates, but the Uptown crowd may dictate a menu expansion. O’Reilly was happily describing the massive kitchen he inherited from the Independent, and said it would allow Republic’s menus to expand as needed.
“If we end up getting a really solid dinner crowd, we’ll start adding some entrees and sections on the menu that we’ve considered: more cured meats, charcuterie, flatbreads,” he said. “We can use ingredients we’re already using, but in a different setting.”
Another notable aspect of the new Republic is an ongoing firkin program. The bar will be equipped with two, and at all times at least one cask beer will be available, giving patrons a way to experience the naturally carbonated firkin beers that can taste vastly different than traditional kegs.
Republic will offer a cocktail program, which is also being rolled out at the West Bank location next week. “We have some good whiskies, and we even have a Scottish guy on staff who helped us put a Scotch program together,” O’Reilly said.
“Not a single neon sign will hang here and not a single TV. No unnecessary use of electricity. Our menu is literally just a piece of paper, but those words are what’s getting people in the door. Nothing makes me more satisfied than that.”
O’Reilly is hoping to open the new Republic in mid-November.
Papa’s Pizza (now closed)
4159 Thomas Ave N, Minneapolis
Some sad news for North Minneapolis: Papa’s Pizza and Deli has closed. Open for nearly a decade, the restaurant was a staple of the Victory neighborhood and known for its hand-tossed pies and East Coast-influenced Italian fare. It was one of the first restaurants in town to serve Surly beer, brewed in nearby Brooklyn Center.
Town Hall Tap (in development)
5019 34th Ave S, Minneapolis
The Town Hall Brewery keeps chugging along. It’s expanding its current brewing system at the original West Bank location, and the offshoot Town Hall Tap at 48th and Chicago is going strong.
Now, there’s a plan afoot to renovate the Skylane Bowling building and turn it into a Town Hall Tap. The food and beer menus would be similar to the existing Tap, but with bowling. Exciting stuff.
Parka (in development)
4023 E Lake St, Minneapolis
Coming to Longfellow: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner from the folks behind Dogwood Coffee, and Rustica Bakery. As proposed, Parka will share space with the Forage Modern Workshop gallery and request a beer and wine license, too, and chef Erick Harcey of Victory 44 is involved. Stay tuned.
- The Gray House, 610 W Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.823.4338
- Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub, 2724 E 38th St, Minneapolis | 612.328.1450
- Figlio, 5331 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park | 952.345.2400
- Ike’s, 17805 Hwy 7, Minnetonka | 952.681.7099
- Cow Bella Gelato, 1700 Grand Ave, St. Paul | 651.340.0585
- Bar Louie, 1348 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis | 612.824.1529
- Camden Tavern & Grill, 4601 Lyndale Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.529.4490
- Tawakal Restaurant, 12609 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville | 952.500.8954
- Fat Nat’s, 2700 39th Ave, St. Anthony Village
- The Rack Bar & Grill, 13050 Aldrich Ave, Burnsville | 952.736.7730
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, 2137 W 80 1 / 2th St, Bloomington | 952.513.7182
- The Kenwood, 2115 W 21st St, Minneapolis | 612.377.3695
- Cafe Maude at Loring, 1612 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis | 612.767.9080
- Murray’s, 26 S 6th St, Minneapolis. Open again after remodel. | 612.339.0909
- Little Tijuana, 17 E 26th St, Minneapolis | 612.872.0578
- Eat Shop Kitchen / Bar, 16605 County Rd 24, Plymouth | 763.270.5929
- Yogurt Lab, 80 8th St S, Minneapolis (IDS Center skyway) | 612.886.3084
- Copper Pot Indian Grill, 10 S 5th St, Minneapolis | 612.331.6677
- Glory :Days. 500 5th Ave NW, New Brighton. Revamped sports bar from :D-Spot owner. | 651.633.2226
- Five Guys, 2300 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.224.9161
- Foxy Falafel, 791 Raymond Ave, St. Paul | 651.243.0813
- Indeed Brewing, 711 15th Ave NE, Minneapolis | 612.643.1226
- People’s Organic, IDS Center Crystal Court (80 S 8th St), Minneapolis | 612.208.0021
- Lone Oak Grill, 3010 Eagandale Pl, Eagan | 651.789.2081
- Spice Thai Cafe, 7704 160th St, Lakeville | 952.997.7423
- Bon Vie Cafe / A Piece of Cake, now combined at 485 Selby Ave, St. Paul | 651.846.0016
- Pizza Luce, 800 W 66th St, Richfield | 612.767.8603
- El Burrito Mercado, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market)
- Masu Sushi & Robata, Third Floor, Mall of America | 952.896.6278
- Somos Peru, 6009 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. | 612.244.3400
- Rusty Taco, 522 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.278.5630
- Nadia Cakes, 11650 Fountains Dr, Suite 207, Maple Grove | 763.575.8885
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Papa’s Pizza, 4159 Thomas Ave N, Minneapolis
- Aura, 3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- Wellman’s Pub, 26 N 5th St, Minneapolis
- Falafel King, 1851 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis
- Cafe Zia, 2723 Lexington Ave N, Roseville. Closing Aug. 31. | 651.484.0434
- The Hanger Room, 310 Stillwater Rd, Willernie
- Nightingale, 2551 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Northgate Brewing, 3134 California St NE, Minneapolis. Opens for growler sales in October. | 612.234.1056
- Solomon’s Bakery, 2827 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis
- Sabbai Cuisine, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market). Opens in October. | 952.233.5662
- Well Seasoned, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | 612.886.2489
- Azia Market Bar & Restaurant, 2550 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.813.1200
- Smack Shack, Washington Ave N and 6th Ave N, Minneapolis.
- Insert Coins, 315 First Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens this fall. | 612.564.4016
- The Belmore, 25 4th St N, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Parka, 4023 E Lake St, Minneapolis.
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Republic, 3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in November.
- The Lynn on Bryant, 50th St and Bryant Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- New Bohemia, 233 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.275.3972
- Tangiers Eatery and Lounge, 116 First Ave N, Minneapolis.
- Dangerous Man Brewing, 1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | 612.209.2626
- The Original Just Turkey Restaurant, 3758 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Yogurt Lab, 5007 France Ave S, Minneapolis; 309 SE Oak St, Minneapolis
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.408.7063
- Fitger’s Brewhouse, 107 3rd Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Burch, 1942 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Isaac Becker’s planned steakhouse in old Burch Pharmacy; opens in late 2012 / early 2013.
- World Street Kitchen, 2743 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- 612 Brew taproom, 945 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Union, 733 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in November.
- Origami, 1352 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Moving from Minnetonka location; opens Dec. 1.
- Town Hall Tap, 5019 34th Ave S, Minneapolis
- Unnamed Kim Bartmann restaurant, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis
- Mill City Cafe, NE Minneapolis. Still searching for new location.
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th St and Chicago Ave, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012 / early 2013.
- Sandcastle, Lake Nokomis, Minneapolis. Doug Flicker’s concessionaire restaurant at the lake. Opens spring 2013.
- Summit Brewing Taproom, 910 Montreal Circle, St. Paul. Opens September 28. | 651.265.7800
- Louis, 211 7th St W, St. Paul. Cossetta’s market opening new rooftop restaurant; opens in mid-October. | 651.222.3476
- French Hen, 518 Selby Ave, St. Paul. Opens this fall. | 651.208.2708
- Bullpen Saloon, 395 Robert St N, St. Paul. Opens this fall. | 651.335.7503
- Sakana Sushi & Asian Bistro, 740 Cleveland Ave S, St. Paul
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Cakewalk, 303 Division St S, Northfield. Opens Oct. 6. | 507.786.9255
- People’s Organic, 12934 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka | 952.938.4140
- Bread, Coffee & Cake, 750 Minnesota 110, Mendota Heights
- Raku Modern Japanese Cuisine, 5371 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park
- Redstone American Grill, 12109 Main St, Maple Grove
- Sweet Ducky Cupcakery, 117 W Churchill St #2, Stillwater. Opens this fall. | 651.472.1150
- Sole Mio, 1750 Weir Dr, Woodbury. Opens this fall. | 651.789.3220
- Hurricane Grill & Wings, Burnsville. Opens in October.
- Steak America, 2400 Cliff Rd, Burnsville | 763.258.6881
- Steel Toe Brewing Taproom, 4848 W 35th St, St. Louis Park. Opens late 2012. | 952.955.9965
- Hammerheart Brewing, 7785 Lake Dr, Lino Lakes. Opens late 2012. | 651.964.2160
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker. If you have tips for The Tap, please email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org.