Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June’s winner: Tara Kumar of Minneapolis
The Gray House (opens this summer)
610 W Lake St, Minneapolis
Taking advantage of the well-kept space that housed the recently shuttered Risotto, chef / owner Ian Gray is nearly set to open his gastropub, The Gray House.
His concept: a farm-fresh, locally sourced menu of 16-25 items — half seasonal staples and half changing every day or, as Gray said, “me going to the farmers market in the morning and being inspired.”
The menu will include a roast chicken with seasonal vegetables and pan sauce that he cooked at his last spot, Trattoria Tosca, as well as some more creative touches.
“The one that keeps sticking in my mind is a chicken and waffles sandwich,” he said. “That’s the extent of where we could go and have fun with [the menu]. And instead of bread we’ll be doing house-made versions of Cheez-its and Wheat Thins, and making our own ice cream.”
The restaurant is inspired partly by Gray’s wife (and restaurant co-owner), Katie, and several trips they’ve made to Britain to re-visit her heritage. To that end, Gray’s menu will also include cheeses, puff pastry, and other examples of English food.
“The English approach to food being farm-fresh and locally sourced and just kind of creating things on a whim almost is very inspiring,” he said.
The Gray House will have six rotating taps, focused on easy-drinking, British-leaning beers from local breweries. There will be a wine list curated by Katie Gray that will focus on reasonably priced, seasonal varieties; liquor is planned eventually.
“I wanted whiskey really bad, but that’s down the line,” Gray said.
Gray hopes to open in mid- to late-August.
Cupcake (St. Paul location scuttled; MOA location added)
949 Grand Ave, St. Paul
Cupcake saga, take III: Awhile back, Kevin VanDeraa, owner of the popular Minneapolis bakery / cafe Cupcake, announced plans to open a new store on Grand Ave in St. Paul. Hooray, right?
Not exactly, as VanDeraa and the neighborhood were at odds over alcohol and — gasp! — number of parking spots. VanDeraa threatened to pull the plug, supportive mayor Chris Coleman got involved, and everything seemingly was worked out. VanDeraa had hoped to open his Grand Ave store this summer.
Now, VanDeraa is scuttling the Grand Ave plans altogether and heading for the Mall of America, which is likely thrilled to have the “Cupcake Wars” champ on board. I’ve heard of neighborhoods fighting to keep out porn shops and other houses of ill repute, but cupcakes?
Oh, well. Cupcake at the megamall opens Aug. 1.
Rusty Taco (now open)
522 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.278.5630
The second metro location of Texas-based chain Rusty Taco is now open in Northeast Minneapolis — just down Hennepin from Brasa — and with a full liquor license. Our experience with Rusty Taco has been markedly hit-or-miss; now, if your visit is a “miss,” you can at least drown your sorrows in some tequila. Tacos are $2.50 and include varieties like brisket, fried chicken and baja shrimp.
- Somos Peru, 6009 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. | 612.244.3400
- Rusty Taco, 522 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.278.5630
- Nadia Cakes, 11650 Fountains Dr, Suite 207, Maple Grove
- Sorrento Cucina Italiana, 623 Marquette Ave (Northstar Center Skyway), Minneapolis
- Primebar, 3001 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.235.4295
- Dilla’s Ethiopian Restaurant, 1813 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis | 612.290.1701
- La Loma, 444 Cedar St (Town Square skyway), St. Paul | 651.202.3153
- Fika, 2600 Park Ave S (American Swedish Institute), Minneapolis | 612.871.4907
- Mosaic Cafe, 3019 Minnehaha Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.746.1504
- Lift Coffee & Treats, 451 Stinson Blvd, Minneapolis | 612.916.2034
- Southeast Asia Kitchen, 414 1 / 2 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.339.9385
- Excelsior Brewing Company, 421 3rd St, Excelsior | 952.474.7837
- Which Wich, 800 Nicollet Mall (US Bank skyway), Minneapolis | 612.284.5325
- Candyland, 212 N Main St, Stillwater
- Byblos Lebanese Grill, 14637 County Rd 11, Burnsville | 612.327.3663
- Icehouse, 2528 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis
- Birdhouse, 2516 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.377.2213
- J.J.’s Coffee + Wine Bistro, 1806 W Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.522.8000
- Cowboy Jack’s, 126 5th St N, Minneapolis | 612.224.9950
- Karta Thai, 2411 Central Ave, Minneapolis | 612.788.4000
- Royal Orchid, 4022 Central Ave NE, Columbia Heights | 763.789.9999
- Birdtown Cafe, 4135 W Broadway, Robbinsdale | 763.537.1196
- Alley Sports Tavern, 100 6th St N, Minneapolis | 612.367.8365
- Moonlight Cafe, 1907 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis | 612.594.1460
- Tavern Grill, 772 Bielenberg Dr, Woodbury | 651.578.3000
- Wings N Things, 324 W Broadway, Minneapolis | 612.735.0637
- TruBerry Frozen Yogurt, 949 Grand Ave, St. Paul | 651.222.2740
- Maruso Street Food and Cocktails, 715 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.333.0100
- The Pourhouse, 10 5th St S, Minneapolis | 612.843.2555
- The Left Handed Cook, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | 612.208.0428
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- :D-Spot, 1993 Burns Ave, St. Paul
- Alix in Candyland, 5400 France Ave S, Edina
- Homemade Pizza Company, 830 Lake St E, Wayzata
- Coffee Gallery, 1011 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis
- Mill City Cafe, 2205 California St NE, Minneapolis
- El Burrito Mercado, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market). Opens July 26.
- Azia Market Bar & Restaurant, 2550 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.813.1200
- Smack Shack, Washington Ave N and 6th Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens in July.
- Little Tijuana, 17 E 26th St, Minneapolis. Reopening late July. | 612.872.0578
- People’s Organic, 80 S 8th St (IDS Center Crystal Court), Minneapolis. Opens Aug. 1.
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in August.
- Indeed Brewing, 711 15th Ave NE, Minneapolis. Opens in August. | 612.643.1226
- The Gray House, 610 W Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens in August.
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this summer. | 612.408.7063
- Cafe Maude at Loring, 1612 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis
- Bar Louie, 1320 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this summer.
- Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub, 2724 E 38th St, Minneapolis. Opens early September. | 612.328.1450
- Well Seasoned, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | 612.886.2489
- New Bohemia, 233 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- :D-Spot, Dinkytown, Minneapolis. Opens in August.
- Tangiers Eatery and Lounge, 116 First Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens in September.
- The Lynn on Bryant, 50th and Bryant, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- New Don Saunders restaurant, 2115 W 21st St (old Kenwood Cafe), Minneapolis
- Dangerous Man Brewing, 1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | 612.377.4164
- The Original Just Turkey Restaurant, 3758 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Yogurt Lab, 80 8th St S, Minneapolis (IDS Center skyway); 5007 France Ave S, Minneapolis; 309 SE Oak St, Minneapolis
- Fitger’s Brewhouse, 107 3rd Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Burch, 1942 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Isaac Becker’s planned steakhouse in old Burch Pharmacy; opens in late 2012/early 2013.
- World Street Kitchen, 2743 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- 612 Brew taproom, 945 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Unnamed rooftop restaurant in old Shinders, 733 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- Unnamed Kim Bartmann restaurant, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis
- Mill City Cafe, NE Minneapolis. Still searching for new location.
- Foxy Falafel, 791 Raymond Ave, St. Paul. Opens this summer.
- Bon Vie Cafe / A Piece of Cake, combining later this summer at 485 Selby Ave, St. Paul | 651.846.0016
- Louis, 211 7th St W, St. Paul. Cossetta’s market opening new rooftop restaurant; opens this summer. | 651.222.3476
- Damera Ethiopian Bar & Restaurant, 823 University Ave, St. Paul
- Chopstiks Cafe, 501 University Ave, St. Paul
- MN Saloon, 395 Robert St N, St. Paul. Opens this summer.
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Pizza Luce, 800 W 66th St, Richfield. Opens July 30. | 612.767.8603
- Lone Oak Grill, 3010 Eagandale Place, Eagan. Opens July 30.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, Penn Ave S and American Blvd, Bloomington. Opens in August.
- Bread, Coffee & Cake, 750 Minnesota 110, Mendota Heights. Opens in August.
- Raku Modern Japanese Cuisine, 5371 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park. Opens this summer.
- Ike’s, 17805 Hwy 7, Minnetonka. Opens this summer.
- Sweet Ducky Cupcakery, 117 W Churchill St #2, Stillwater. Opens this summer. | 651.472.1150
- Masu Sushi & Robata, Mall of America. Opens this summer.
- Sole Mio, 1750 Weir Dr, Woodbury. Opens in September.
- Hurricane Grill & Wings, Burnsville. Opens in October.
- Spice Thai Cafe, 7704 160th St, Lakeville
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker. If you have tips for The Tap, please email Jason at email@example.com.