Last week, we published Tanpopo Restaurant’s recipe for Warm Green Beans with Tomatoes and Ponzu. If you missed the recipe, or haven’t yet visited Tanpopo in St. Paul’s Lowertown, we encourage you to try both. In the meantime, below is Tanpopo’s answer to all of those beets you’re seeing in gardens, in co-ops, and at farmers markets now that we unofficially find ourselves in fall (though, apparently not according to either the calendar or the weather).
Beet Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Miso Vinaigrette
3 medium beets (about 1 lb)
Miso Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
2 tbsp walnuts, toasted and crushed
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Wash and trim beets then place in shallow roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes to one hour. Test them using a toothpick. They should be soft all the way through. When done remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the Miso Vinaigrette.
- Toast beets either on a baking tray in oven, about five minutes, or in a frying pan on the stove. Let cool.
- Toast, then crush, the walnuts.
- When the beets are cool, peel and cut into quarters or smaller. Ideally, they should be easy to grab with a pair of chopsticks.
- Arrange on a plate, sprinkle with crushed toasted walnuts, drizzle on the Miso Vinaigrette (to taste), and garnish with chopped parsley.
1½ tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp miso
1 tsp sugar
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk.