Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at email@example.com. July’s winner: Ashley Skogen of St. Paul
The Bachelor Farmer (now open)
50 2nd Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.206.3920 | TheBachelorFarmer.com
Open for about a month now, The Bachelor Farmer has earned almost across-the-board praise for its take on Scandinavian-influenced cuisine. Chef Paul Berglund’s first menu is dotted with elements like lefse, meatballs and gravlax, but take out those buzzwords and the menu reads like a contemporary chef’s vision of classic Midwestern dishes: chilled kale soup, rabbit liver pate, roasted chicken with new potatoes and tomato vinaigrette, bread dumplings with mushrooms.
In short, Berglund didn’t just collate recipes from Swedish Cooking 101, he learned elements of all Scandinavian cultures and spun together an intelligent menu that’s hard to pin down. And with the approaching fall changing not just the supply from the restaurant’s rooftop garden but the palates of local diners, it will be cool to see what he puts together next.
Berglund said, so far, the approach was working.
“I am feeling good about our patrons’ receptivity to what we’re doing,” he said. “The response has been overwhelmingly positive. When rabbit, marrow bones, and cured herring are some of our best sellers, I feel like we’re giving people an exciting, unique experience.”
When The Tap previewed The Bachelor Farmer at a July dinner, it was obvious owners Eric and Andrew Dayton were determined to employ top-notch talent, like Berglund and cocktail architect Pip Hanson. And Berglund said that had trickled down to his staff, because after just a few weeks the kitchen crew was already working together seamlessly.
“It feels like the cooks have been cooking together for a year or more,” he said. “That’s exactly what I had hoped to achieve, but honestly, I haven’t had to do a thing to get us there. They’re just a great group of hardworking, talented people.
“I am pleased with the food we are offering, knowing that we have a long way to go to become the best restaurant we can be. We’re all pushing hard to achieve more and more every day.”
Claddagh Coffee (now open)
459 W 7th, St. Paul | 651.600.3400 | Find it on Facebook
The address that houses Claddagh Coffee, which opened this month in a 120-year-old building in St. Paul, recently housed a scruffy adult store. So you can imagine the neighborhood is rightly excited for the about-face that is Mary Hogan-Bard’s cozy new shop, which sources Dogwood Coffee and serves food like small plates, paninis, salads and soups as well as baked goods, including some from Bars Bakery.
“Claddagh is from the Irish ring, the hands holding the heart, which represents love, friendship, and loyalty,” Hogan-Bard said. “The name and its meaning represents my mission. I am serving specialty coffee, with Dogwood served daily along with two guest roasters, Anodyne and Bull Run.”
Claddagh Coffee is open every day until 8 p.m.
Jason’s Deli (opens in November)
7565 France Ave S, Edina | jasonsdeli.com
The local footprint of Jason’s Deli continues with an Edina location opening in November. Jason’s Deli, which specializes in an array of affordable sandwiches, soups and salads as well as tidbits like free soft serve and tiny, oddly addictive corn and gingerbread muffins, made its Minnesota debut in Eden Prairie in 2009.
Bourke Harvey, the franchisee behind the local openings, said the Twin Cities market was ideal for expansion, pointing to a diverse business economy and the ability to open six to eight locations in the next five years.
“We try to offer the highest quality product for a fair price,” he said. “If you are trying to eat healthy, the organic vegetables and homemade items on the salad bar are fantastic. Or, if you are extra-hungry, I challenge you to find a more satisfying sandwich than our New York Yankee (corned beef, pastrami, and Swiss on rye).”
The Tap regularly ate Jason’s Deli when living in Lawrence, Kan., because it was indeed super-tasty, hearty and affordable (a highly addicted friend ate there at least three times a week). And the chain has a community focus – its Eden Prairie location frequently has nights where 10 percent of sales go to a local school, church, athletic league, etc. Lower your expectations a notch below a Brothers, Cecil’s, or Crossroads Deli meal and you’ll be quite happy.
The Donut Cooperative (planning to open late September)
2929 E 25th St, Minneapolis | thedonutcooperative.com
After mounting a $12,000 Kickstarter campaign last August, the Donut Cooperative launched its effort to bring “unique, artisan donuts to Minneapolis using the best local, natural ingredients from small farmers and suppliers.” Its first South Minneapolis location, however, foundered, and some doubted whether the shop would open. A recent tweet from the business indicates that the dream lives, with a plan to open in late September in the old Cake Eater Bakery space in Seward.
- Sonora Grill, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | 612.871.1900 | Our take
- Steel Toe Brewing, 4848 W 35th St, St. Louis Park | steeltoebrewing.com
- Mi Sinaloa, 3801 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis
- Urban Bean, 2401 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.200.8051 | urbanbeancoffee.com
- The Lowry, 2112 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.341.2112 | Find it on Facebook
- Claddagh Coffee, 459 W 7th, St. Paul | 651.600.3400 | Find it on Facebook
- McCormick’s Pub, 331 Broadway Ave S, Wayzata | 952.767.2417 | Find it on Facebook
- The Bachelor Farmer, 50 2nd Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.206.3920 | TheBachelorFarmer.com
- El Loro Mexican Restaurant, 5689 Blaine Ave, Inver Grove Heights
- Andale Taqueria y Mercado, 7700 Nicollet Ave S, Richfield | 651.230.6498
- Bella Pizza, 14485 S Robert Trail, Rosemount | 651.322.1818 | bellapizzashop.com
- The Public House, 700 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.455.1213 | thepublichousempls.com
- Toppers, 702 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis | toppers.com
- Little Szechuan, 5377 16th St, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | 952.322.7671 | littleszechuan.com
- Blue Ox Coffee Company, 3740 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.825.6650 | blueoxcoffeecompany.com
- Alix in Candyland, 5400 France Ave S, Edina | 952.915.1100 | alixincandyland.com
- Ansari’s Mediterranean Grill, 1960 Rahn Cliff Court, Eagan. Open again after fire. | 651.452.0999 | ansarisgrill.com
- Viva Brazil, 913 W Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.871.4239 | vivabrazilrestaurant.com
- Rare Steak & Sushi, 615 2nd Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.752.9595 | rarempls.com
- Pizza Town, 1600 W Broadway, Minneapolis | 612.522.9999
- Grand Szechuan, 187 Cheshire Lane N, Plymouth | 763.404.1770 | grandszechuanmn.com
- Osaka, 6440 Wayzata Blvd, Golden Valley | 763.398.6808 | osakausa.com
- Palumbo’s Pizzeria, 454 Snelling Ave S, St Paul | 651.698.0020 | Our take
- Kinsen, 1300 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis | 612.367.4595 | kinsennoodles.com
- :D-SPOT, 705 Century Ave N, Suite B, Maplewood | 651.730.7768 | Our take
- Asia Bistro, 10060 City Walk Drive, Woodbury | 651.788.9108 | asiabistrowoodbury.com
- RedRossa Italian Grille, 1901 Killebrew Dr., Bloomington | 952.814.2910 | redrossa.com
- Element Pizza, 96 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis | 612.379.3028 | elementpizza.com
- Catalina’s, 2301 37th Pl, Columbia Heights | 612.695.7531
- Muddy Waters Bar and Eatery, 2933 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.872.2232 | muddywatersmpls.com
- Wilde Roast Cafe, 65 Main St SE, Minneapolis. Now open in new location. | 612.331.4544 | wilderoastcafe.com
- Pandolfi, 3904 W 50th St, Edina | 612.801.7567 | Our take
- M&S Grill, 50 South 6th St #100, Minneapolis
- Tinucci’s, 2190 Eagle Creek Lane, Woodbury
- Purple Sandpiper, 8405 Lyndale Ave S, Bloomington
- Curry Up, 13601 Grove Dr, Maple Grove
- Zen Box Izakaya, 602 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in August. | 612.332.3936 | Find it on Facebook
- Adagio Cafe, 5001 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens Sept. 1. | 612.922.2233 | Find it on Facebook
- Amsterdam, 6 W 6th St, St. Paul (former Pop!). Opens early September. | Find it on Facebook
- Rosa Mexicano, 6th and Hennepin, Minneapolis (in City Center next to Fogo de Chao). Opens in September. | rosamexicano.com
- The Four Firkins, 5630 36th St, St. Louis Park (moving to new location) | 952.938.2847 | thefourfirkins.com
- Pat’s Tap, 3510 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.822.8216 | Find it on Facebook
- Maeve’s Cafe, 300 13th Ave NE, Minneapolis | 612.379.1033 | Find it on Facebook
- Fasika, University and Dale, St. Paul (new Frogtown Square) . Opens this summer. | fasika.com
- Humble Pie, 822 W. 36th St., Minneapolis. Kim Bartmann’s revamp of Gigi’s. | 612.825.0818
- Joan’s on the Park, 631 Snelling Ave S, St. Paul. Soon-to-be-former Grampa Tony’s, opens early September. | 651.690.3297
- Pig & Fiddle, 3808 W. 50th St, Minneapolis. Opens late September/early October
- Chez Arnaud, 4735 Highway 61, White Bear Lake. Opens early September. | myfrenchbakery.net
- Rye Delicatessen & Bar, 1930 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in early October.
- Crooked Pint Ale House, 501 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this fall. | crookedpint.com
- Eat Street Social, 14 W 26th St, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Icehouse, 2528 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Stout’s Pub, 1611 Larpenteur, Falcon Heights. Opens this fall.
- Cranky’s Bicycle Bar, E Lake St, Minneapolis | Find it on Facebook
- Pittsburgh Blue, 3200 Galleria (former Kozy’s), Edina. Opens this fall. |pittsburghbluesteak.com
- Mesa Pizza, 1440 W. Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens this fall. | mesapizzamn.com
- Rodizio Grill, 12197 Elm Creek Blvd N, Maple Grove. Opens this fall. | rodiziogrill.com
- Jason’s Deli, 7565 France Ave S, Edina. Opens in November. | jasonsdeli.com
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis | thebdp.com
- Mojo Monkey Donuts, 1169 7th St W, St. Paul
- Smokehouse Brewpub, 220 S. 6th St, Minneapolis
- Zest! Bar and Grill, 525 Diffley Rd, Eagan
- Toppers, 1154 Grand Ave, St. Paul | toppers.com
- Five Guys, 8360 3rd St N, Oakdale | fiveguys.com
- Cupcake, Grand Ave, St. Paul
- Kyoto Sushi, 13751 Grove Dr, Maple Grove | 763.488.1588 | kyotomn.com
- Smashburger, 2140 Ford Pkwy, St. Paul | smashburger.com
- La Crepe Nanou, Huey’s 24/7 Diner, The Wine Loft, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park. Opening this fall. | lacrepenanou.com | hueys247diner.com | thewineloft.net
- YO!Sushi | Company says five metro locations coming, first in Minneapolis in 2011 | yosushi.com
The Tap is The Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker, and will be published biweekly. If you already subscribe to our newsletter, look for an emailed version of The Tap every other week — otherwise, you can find it on the website on alternating Tuesdays.
If you’ve got tips for The Tap, please email Jason Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Tap’s Twitter feed has moved to@heavytable.