This week in The Tap: The North Coast Nosh is on the way, and a look ahead at upcoming restaurants in the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, notes about spots that have closed, and about those that have recently opened.
The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor James Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Purveyors at the North Coast Nosh
We’ve been hosting North Coast Nosh sip-and-samples for the past seven years, and while the purveyors change constantly, the values of the event stay the same: locally made artisan food and drink, sampled generously, and the time (and elbow room) needed for real conversations between guests and vendors.
Our upcoming North Coast Nosh (March 29 at the Food Building) features many old friends, but there will be some new faces in the mix as well, including:
Utepils Brewing, one of the biggest and most exciting breweries to open in recent years
St. Croix Chocolate Company, long one of our favorite local makers of artisan chocolates
- Holman’s Table, 644 Bayfield St, St. Paul | A restaurant at the St. Paul Airport.
- Sweet Chow, 116 1st Ave N, Minneapolis | Counter-service pho and veggie-friendly fare.
- just/us, 465 Wabasha St N, St. Paul | An ambitious looking new spot in the suddenly closed Red Lantern space.
- Biergarten Germania, 275 E Fourth Street, St. Paul | Schnitzel, pretzels, brats, and other German standards, plus beer.
- Fig + Farro, 3001 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | Vegetarian food in the semi-cursed former Figlio’s space.
- Sound, 132 E Superior St, Duluth | An ambitious new spot by Chef Patrick Moore (above), formerly of Silos at Pier B.
- Hodges Bend, 2700 University Ave W, St. Paul | Coffee, wine, and cocktails with a side of food.
- Nye’s Bar, 112 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | A reboot of the legendary Nye’s Polonaise, in a new space at the Nye’s location, renovated and sans food. Our review here.
- Sonder Shaker, 130 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | A new restaurant and cocktail bar sharing the site of the old Nye’s Polonaise.
- Red Sauce Rebellion, 205 Water St, Excelsior | “Approachable yet unexpected” Italian. Our first tastes.
- Venn Brewing, 3550 E 46th St Suite 140, Minneapolis | A changing selection of brews in this taproom near Minnehaha Park.
- Hamburguesas el Gordo, 4157 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis (second location) | Our review of the original location.
- La Mesa, 230 Cedar Lake Road S, Minneapolis | Ecuadoran fare in the former Sparks space.
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Northgate Brewing
- Vescio’s Italian Restaurant (March)
- Wild Onion (end of March)
- Cap’s Grille
- El Burrito Minneapolis, 4814 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis | June 2018 | A new El Burrito Mercado restaurant in the former Pepitos next to the Parkway Theater.
- Cajun Twist at The Trailhead, Theodore Wirth Park, Golden Valley | Summer 2018 | Gumbo, red beans and rice, jambalaya, and more, including beer and wine served up daily out of The Trailhead, a new facility coming to Theodore Wirth Park park this summer.
- Surly Pizza Upstairs, 520 Malcolm Ave. SE, Minneapolis | March 30 | The New Haven-inspired pizza joint replacing Brewers Table upstairs at Surly.
- Fhima’s Minneapolis, 40 S 7th St, Minneapolis | Summer | A new spot from David Fhima in the form Il Foro/Forum space.
- Minnesota Nice Cream, 807 Broadway St NE | April or May
- The Bungalow Club, 4300 E Lake St, Minneapolis | April 2018 | A neighborhood establishment focused on fresh pastas in the former Craftsman space.
- All Square, 4047 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis | Spring 2018 | Grilled cheese restaurant working to reduce prison recidivism.
- Montreal-Style Deli (name TBD), 901 W Lake St, Minneapolis | Late spring | A project focusing on smoked fish and meats, plus cocktails. By Adam Eaton, Tim Niver, and Saint Dinette’s GM Laurel Elm.
- Royal Foundry Craft Spirits, 241 Fremont Ave N, Minneapolis | 2018 | British-inspired spirits distilled in Minneapolis. Here’s our preview.
- Dayton’s Food Hall & Market, 700 Nicollet Mall | Mid-2019 | Major new 40,000 square foot food hall curated by Andrew Zimmern.
- Finnegans Taproom, 525 S Eighth St, Minneapolis | March | The charitably focused brewer is poised to open its new brewery and taproom.
- Tori 44, 2203 44th Ave N, Minneapolis | April | A new ramen restaurant and noodle manufacturing facility in the former Victory 44 location from the owners of Tori Ramen.
- Prime Six, 609 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | Early 2018 | A mishmash of everything upscale from around the world, plus a dance floor. In the old Rosa Mexicano space.
- Popol Vuh and Centro | Spring | A two-restaurants-in-one, high-concept/street-food purveyor with a Mexican emphasis. From the team behind the successful Lyn65 in Richfield. UPDATE, 2/6/18, via Cast Iron Communications: “Centro will open first followed by Popol Vuh and they are looking at Spring time (April/May) as of now.”
- Geek Love at Moon Palace Books, 3032 Minnehaha Ave S, Minneapolis | March | The bookstore has moved two blocks north and the Geek Love restaurant portion should be opening soon.
- Diamond BBQ, 5400 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | Early 2018 | Barbecue, escargot, beef tartare, and more. By Daniel del Prado of the recently-opened Martina.
- The Sioux Chef Restaurant at Water Works (on the Mississippi, behind the Mill City Museum) | 2019
- Minnesota Barbecue Company, 816 Lowry Ave NE, Minneapolis | 2018 | A Kansas-City-style barbecue place to be led by Chef Kale Thome of the Travail team (and a Kansas native). Doing pop-ups around town until the official opening.
- Funky Grits, 805 E 38th St, Minneapolis | April 1 | A soul food spot in the home of the short-lived Hell’s Chicken and Fish.
- Malcolm Yards Market, 501 30th Ave SE, Minneapolis | 2019 | A food market that will capitalize on its proximity to Surly’s massive brewery/restaurant complex.
- The Grand Catch, 1672 Grand Ave, St. Paul | Early summer | The Wadi brothers and Thien Ly of Cajun Deli will open a seafood shack on Grand Avenue.
- Spring Cafe, Como Lake Pavilion | Spring | Lakeside dining on Como Lake.
- In Bloom at Keg and Case, 928 West 7th Street, St. Paul | Early summer | Rustic fine dining over open flames by the Corner Table/Revival team in the new Keg and Case food hall.
- Keg and Case revitalization of the Schmidt Brewery, 928 W 7th St, St. Paul | 2018 | Featuring restaurants by the teams behind Corner Table, and Five Watt, plus Sweet Science ice cream.
- Parlour Bar, 271 W 7th St, St. Paul | March | The popular Minneapolis Warehouse District bar-restaurant is branching out into St. Paul.
Greater Twin Cities Area and Beyond
- Corktown Deli and Brews, 1906 W Superior St, Duluth| Spring | Minnesota beer and New York-inspired deli in Duluth’s booming Lincoln Park neighborhood, by the creators of the Duluth Grill.
- The Copper Cow, 5445 Eden Prairie Road, Minnetonka | Summer | A new eatery from the Copper Hen team.
- Garage Bowl and Bar, 16 W First St, Waconia | September 2019 | Boutique bowling, brick oven pizzas, and a high-quality bar program in downtown Waconia.
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by the Heavy Table. If you have tips for The Tap, please email James Norton at email@example.com.