Fireroast Mountain Café (seeking new ownership)
3800 37th Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.724.9895 | fireroastmountaincafe.com
Fireroast Mountain Café, a Howe neighborhood coffee stalwart that serves a varied menu of made-from-scratch baked goods, burritos, tamales, sandwiches, and soups, is for sale. Owners Lisa Piper and Dave Clark, moving to North Carolina to start a new coffee shop near Piper’s aging parents, seek a buyer who will continue Fireroast Mountain’s commitment to local and organic foods in a folksy neighborhood setting.
“We are hoping to sell it to someone who loves the neighborhood as much as we do, loves the customer base and has the same values that we have,” she said.
Piper and Clark, who bought Fireroast six years ago, said the restaurant was popular because of both its dedication to the local community and its all-homemade menu.
“I like to tell people it’s a fiercely neighborhood-oriented cafe,” she said. “A lot of the neighbors know it and it’s very, very important to the neighborhood. It tends to be as organic and local as we can make it, very affordable and casual, with an emphasis on community.
“We’re in a very precarious line of work — this whole café thing is kind of precarious. Everybody’s assuming that we’re moving for bad reasons. People are hearing that it’s closing but we’re like, ‘No, we’ve grown every single year, it’s a hopping, thriving café.’ We’re not looking to close it at all, we’re just looking to transition it.”
The Lowry Cafe (coming this spring)
2207 Lowry Ave N, Minneapolis | Find it on Facebook
Owner Darryl Weivoda is shooting for a late April opening for The Lowry Cafe in North Minneapolis. Weivoda, owner of next-door North End Hardware and Rental, saw an opportunity on this restaurant-starved corner of Penn and Lowry.
“There’s not a lot around here and there used to be five restaurants on the corner,” he said. “We have a lot of customers who are contractors and they come in and say, ‘Where’s a good place to eat around here?’ So I thought, we should just open up a restaurant for the contractor trade and serve our people better.”
Weivoda said the menu will be “comfort food.”
“So on a cold winter day, you could come in and get some really good goulash, roast beef, roast pork, burgers, wraps, salads,” he said. “We’re going to have a deli case in the front where in the morning we’ll have bran muffins and things so people who catch the bus can stop by and get a cup of coffee.”
Wise Acre Eatery (opening in May)
5401 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | tangletowngardens.com
Scott Endres and Dean Engelmann are strengthening their grip on this southside block, opening Wise Acre Eatery this May in the former Liberty Frozen Custard building across the street from their Tangletown Gardens. Last year, the garden center began selling groceries and CSA shares from food grown at Endres and Engelmann’s Plato farm, and the casual neighborhood joint plans to use those ingredients.
“We will be the folks sowing the seeds, nurturing plants, and tending the animals in the morning, then delivering the harvest to our restaurant’s kitchen and market in the afternoon,” Endres said.
The menu, led by Lucia’s veteran Beth Fisher, will serve lunches and dinners of burgers, sandwiches, and salads that feature house-made pickles and preserves. Wise Acre Eatery will nod to Liberty and offer frozen custard as well as having a coffee bar and wine and beer available, with brunch on weekends.
Tangletown Gardens’ CSA and farm markets will move into the Wise Acre space as well.
“Wise Acre Eatery is a step forward and backward at the same time,” Endres said. “Back to the way food used to be grown and valued, and forward as the next step for our growing business.”
Pizza Ranch (now open in Monticello, coming soon to Lakeville)
1220 Highway 25 S Suite 104, Monticello | 320.250.8095 | pizzaranch.com
16995 Kenyon Ave, Lakeville, opens early May | 952.898.3333 | pizzaranch.com
Pizza Ranch, a mainstay of upper Midwest small towns, is making forays into the metro area. No, it’s not the best pizza you’ll ever eat. But the buffet of fresh, above-average pies also includes juicy broasted chicken, and the Ranch is known for friendly employees, clean restaurants, and affordable, family-friendly fare, as well as making any pizza you request for the buffet. The Monticello branch is now open and Lakeville’s will open in early May; previously the nearest Pizza Ranch to the metro was in Waconia.
- Patriots Tavern, 145 New England Pl, Stillwater | www.roman-market.com/patriotindex.html
- First National Green Room, 215 S Main St, Stillwater | 651.342.0215 | Find it on Facebook
- Sopranos Italian Kitchen, 5331 W 16th St, St. Louis Park | sopranosmn.com
- American Burger Bar, 800 LaSalle Place (8th and Hennepin), Minneapolis | americanburgerbar.com
- Pizza Ranch, 1220 Highway 25 S Suite 104, Monticello | 320.250.8095 | pizzaranch.com
- Sun Street Breads, 4600 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.747.4699 | sunstreetbreads.com
- Tilia, 2726 W 43rd St, Minneapolis | 612.354.2806. | tiliampls.com
- Indochin, 1702 Grand Ave, St. Paul | 651.690.2728
- Wally’s Roast Beef, 8120 Penn Ave S, Bloomington | 952.884.4349 | wallysroastbeef.com
- Black Sheep Pizza, 512 N Robert St, St. Paul | 651.227.4337 | blacksheeppizza.com
- Cowboy Jack’s, 2801 Southtown Dr, Bloomington | 952.955.8137 | theaftermidnightgroup.com
- Jake & Elwood’s BBQ, 2016 1st Ave, Anoka | 763.421.7700 | Find it on Facebook
- Pow Wow Grounds Coffee, 1414 E Franklin Ave (in All My Relations Art Gallery), Minneapolis | 612.545.5598 | Find it on Facebook
- Crown Coffee, 3445 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis
- River Chocolate Company, 2822 W 43rd St, Minneapolis | 612.926.8466 | Find it on Facebook
- Boiler Coffee Room, 1830 3rd Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.886.2285 | Find it on Facebook
- Smashburger, 8045 Flying Cloud Dr, Eden Prairie | smashburger.com
- Sweets Bakeshop, 4747 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | sweetsbakeshop.com
- Urban Eatery, 2730 W Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.920.5000 | myurbaneatery.com
- Aji Japanese, 712 Main St, Hopkins | 952.358.3558 | ajicj.com
- 50th Street Cafe, 3808 W 50th St, Minneapolis | 612.927.4464 | 50thstreetcafe.com
- The Lowbrow, 4244 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.208.0720 | thelowbrowmpls.com
- Harriet Brewing, 3036 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis | 651.491.8979 | harrietbrewing.com
- Heidi’s, 2903 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.354.3512 | heidismpls.com
- Mazopiya, 27571 Credit Union Dr, Prior Lake | 952.233.9140 | mazopiya.com
- Himalayan Restaurant II, 765 53rd Ave NE, Fridley | 763.586.9800
- The Herb Box, 755 Prairie Center Dr, Eden Prairie | 952.829.8484 | theherbbox.com
- Andiamo Italian Ristorante, 1629 Lena Ct, Eagan | 651.289.2000 | andiamomn.com
- University Buffet, 225 University Ave, St. Paul | 651.366.6858
- On’s Thai Kitchen, 1613 University Ave W, St. Paul | 651.644.1444
- Lucy’s, 3025 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.344.5829
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Bullwinkles, 1429 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis
- Cars-R-Coffins, 3346 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis
- Kozy’s, 3220 Galleria, Edina
- Tillie’s Bean, 2803 E 38th St, Minneapolis
- Dragonfly Coffee, 5001 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis
- Willie D’s Southern Style, 3801 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis
- Le CrazyTaste Bakery, 1316 SE 4th St, Minneapolis
- Applebees, 600 Hennepin Ave (Block E), Minneapolis
- Rosen’s Bar & Grill/The Refuge Bar & Grill, 430 First Ave N, Minneapolis
- The Tea Garden, 101 E 5th St, St. Paul | teagardeninc.com
- Aperitif Restaurant & Bar, 772 Bielenberg Dr, Woodbury | aperitifrestaurant.com
- Ansari’s Mediterranean Grill, 1960 Rahn Cliff Ct, Eagan. Closed temporarily due to fire. | 651.452.0999 | ansarisgrill.com
- Amore Coffee, 917 Grand Ave, St. Paul. Closing end of March. | 651.222.6770 | amorecoffee.com
- Lily’s, 3301 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis
- 20.21, 1750 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.253.3410
- West Indies Soul Food, 920 E Lake St #114, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market)
- Bull Run Roasting Co., 3346 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in April. | bullrunroasting.com
- Bread & Pickle, 4135 W Lake Harriet Parkway (at bandshell), Minneapolis. Opens in April, weather permitting. | breadandpickle.com
- Rusty Taco, Lexington Parkway, St. Paul. Opens early April. | 612.916.2244 | rustytaco.com
- Shanghai Bistro, 324 Main St S, Stillwater. Opens early April. | 651.430.9000 | Find it on Facebook
- Masu Sushi & Robata, 330 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens April 18. | www.masusushiandrobata.com
- Victory 44 Coffee Bar & Provisions, 2201 44th Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.588.2228 | victory-44.com
- Humble Pie, 822 W 36th St., Minneapolis. Kim Bartmann’s revamp of Gigi’s; opening spring 2011. | 612.825.0818
- Turtle Bread, 4205 E 34th St, Minneapolis. Opens spring 2011. | turtlebread.com
- The Bullfrog, 1111 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens early April.
- Wuollet Bakery, 200 S 6th St (U.S. Bank Plaza skyway), Minneapolis. Opening in April. | www.wuollet.com
- Chilango Cantina, 212 E 7th St, St. Paul. Opens late April / early May.
- Pizza Ranch, 16995 Kenyon Ave, Lakeville. Opens early May. | 952.898.3333 | pizzaranch.com
- Pat’s Tap, 3510 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens spring 2011. | 612.822.8216 | patstap.com
- Cranky’s Bicycle Bar, E Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens spring 2011. | crankysbicyclebar.com
- Crave, 825 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis (former Palomino). Opens this spring. | craveamerica.com
- Gather, 1750 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens late April.
- Blue Point, 4400 78th St, Bloomington. Opens this spring.
- Las Tortillas Mexican Restaurant, 15051 Crestone Ave, Rosemount. Opens this spring. | www.lastortillas.net
- Brasa Viva Brazil, 913 W Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens in April.
- The Lowry Cafe, 2207 Lowry Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens late April. | 612.284.7087 | Find it on Facebook
- Little Szechuan, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park. Opens May 1. | littleszechuan.com
- Burger Jones, 1617 County Road 42, Burnsville. Opens early May. | burgerjones.com
- Wise Acre Eatery, 5401 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis, opens in May | www.tangletowngardens.com
- Rosa Mexicano, 6th and Hennepin, Minneapolis. In City Center next to Fogo de Chao, coming this summer. | rosamexicano.com
- Maeve’s Cafe, 300 13th Ave NE, Minneapolis. Opens spring 2011. | 612.379.1033
- Blue Door Pub, 26th St and Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis | thebdp.com
- Betty’s Pies, Mall of America | bettyspies.com
- La Crepe Nanou, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | lacrepenanou.com
- Huey’s 24/7 Diner, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | hueys247diner.com
- The Wine Loft, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | thewineloft.net
- Mill Valley Kitchen, 3900 Excelsior Blvd, St. Louis Park. Opens this summer.
- Blue Plate restaurant 2112 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis (in old Hollywood Video)
- Pittsburgh Blue, 3200 Galleria (former Kozy’s), Edina. Opens this fall. | pittsburghbluesteak.com
- Five Guys, 230 7th St, St. Paul | fiveguys.com
- YO!Sushi | Company says five metro locations coming, first in Minneapolis in 2011. | yosushi.com
The Tap is The Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker, and will be published biweekly. If you already subscribe to our newsletter, look for an emailed version of The Tap every other week — otherwise, you can find it on the website on alternating Tuesdays.