Readers: Win The Secret Atlas of North Coast Food
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a copy of The Secret Atlas of North Coast Food to the best tipster of March and April. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor James Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bull Run Coffee Bar (expanding in June)
Moving to from 3346 to 3350 Lyndale Ave S Minneapolis
Bull Run Coffee Bar, a little speck of a coffee bar known for its quality brewing and roasting, is moving next door and gaining some seats. The shop will be expanding into the former OM Collective space on Lyndale Avenue. The new spot will also boast a sunny patio on the coffee bar’s south side, and is expected to open in June.
“The space is going to be larger and have more seating,” says manager Patrick Thomas. “Right now we’re probably at 30 [seats] and we’re going to about 50 or 60. We’ve been a little crunched.”
“We’ll be doing some sandwiches that we’ll make in house, and some salads as well,” says Thomas. “We’ll be featuring Patisserie 46 pretzels.”
Over its three-year life, Bull Run has featured a number of local artists, a tradition that will continue in the new space; recent artists featured have included Sarah Albinson (a Bull Run barista) and illustrator Taylor Baldry.
Sober Fish Thai Sushi Bar (now open)
2627 Franklin Ave E, Minneapolis
The name of the restaurant replacing Seward’s True Thai has evolved from Drunken Fish to Drunken Sake to Sober Fish, a name that suggests a quiet night at the library with a halibut. The restaurant’s pedigree includes Elle Kunsawat Lee (a co-owner of East Side Thai in St. Paul) and, reputedly, personnel from Sushi Tango.
Sober Fish celebrated its grand opening on May 16 and is now slinging Thai spring rolls, a classic selection of American sushi rolls and nigiri, salmon heads with ponzu sauce, pineapple curry, and pad thai, and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Brasserie Zentral, 505 Marquette Ave S, Minneapolis | Our review
- Lolo American Kitchen, 233 Main St S, Stillwater
- Birchwood Cafe | Reopened after renovations
- Black Coffee and Waffle Bar, 1500 Como Ave SE, Minneapolis | Our review
- Sober Fish, 2627 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis
- Nelson’s Ice Cream (second location), 454 Snelling Ave S, St. Paul
- JL Beers, 24 University Ave NE Suite 100, Minneapolis
- Digby’s, Rosedale Mall in Roseville
- Hen House, 114 8th St S (old Peter’s Grill location), Minneapolis | Our recent breakfast review.
- La Fresca, 4750 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | Our recent visit.
- Burning Brothers Brewery, 1750 Thomas Ave, St. Paul
- Red Lantern Sushi and Sake, 2125 4th St, White Bear Lake
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Zimmy’s (Hibbing)
- Palumbo’s | Our review
- Whisky Park, Downtown Minneapolis
- The Belmore / New Skyway Lounge
- Sally’s Saloon and Eatery, 712 Washington Ave SE | Closed for remodeling until summer 2014.
- Buster’s on 28th, 4204 S 28th Ave, Minneapolis | Temporary closure due to mid-2013 fire; opening in July.
- Bauhaus Brew Labs, 1315 Tyler St NE, Minneapolis | June
- Agra Culture Kitchen & Press, The Walkway Apartments, 2939 Girard Ave S, Minneapolis
- Bull Run Coffee Bar (moving to new location), 3350 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis
- Socialista, North Loop, Minneapolis | Spring 2014
- Eastlake Craft Brewing, Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis | Fall 2014
- Dong Hae Korean Grill and Sushi, 251 1st Ave N, Minneapolis (former Nami space) | Late spring 2014
- Kyoto Sushi (new location), in former Tiger Sushi spot at Lyn-Lake | Spring 2014
- Lago Tacos, old Heidi’s location, Minneapolis
- Corner Table projects: relocation to old La Chaya Bistro space and opening of Revival mid-South / fried chicken restaurant | Spring 2014
- Aki’s Bread Haus, 2506 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis | Unknown
- Bent Arrow, 5416 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis
- Lyn 65 Kitchen and Bar, 6439 Lyndale Ave, Richfield | Unknown
- Betty Danger’s Country Club, 2519 Marshall St, Minneapolis | Opening date unknown
- Russell and Desta Klein projects: Cafe Zentral, Foreign Legion wine bar, wine shop to be named, Soo Line Building | 2014
- Ling & Louie’s Kitchen, 9th St and Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
- The Nicollet Diner, 1428 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | Late spring 2014
- Tiny Diner, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis | 612.822.6302
- Unnamed Gastrotruck restaurant, 2400 University Ave NE, Minneapolis
- Lexington (new ownership) | Autumn 2014
- Tongue in Cheek, 989 Payne Ave, St. Paul | Opens June 2014
- Tin Whiskers Brewing Company, St. Paul | Opens May 2014
- Saint Dinette, Lowertown, St. Paul | Opens 2014
- Urban Growler Brewing Company 2325 Endicott St, St. Paul | Opens summer 2014
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Coalition, Excelsior | June 2014
- Bistro La Roux, Circle Pines | Summer 2014
- Peace Coffee Coffee Bar, Lakewinds Co-op, Richfield | June 2014
- Victor’s, 205 Water St, Excelsior | June 2014
- Maple Island Brewing Co., Stillwater | May 2014
- LTD (Live the Dream) Brewing, 812 Mainstreet, Hopkins | 2014
- Castle Danger Brewery, Two Harbors brewery expansion and tap room | 2014
- Jordan Brewery, Jordan, MN | Spring 2014
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by the Heavy Table. If you have tips for The Tap, please email James Norton at email@example.com.