The Tap: Restaurant Openings and Closings for Mid-February
This week in The Tap: A look ahead at upcoming restaurants in the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, notes about spots that have closed, and about those that have recently opened.
The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor James Norton at email@example.com.
- Holman’s Table, 644 Bayfield St, St. Paul | A restaurant at the St. Paul Airport.
- just/us, 465 Wabasha St N | An ambitious looking new spot in the suddenly closed Red Lantern space.
- Biergarten Germania, 275 E Fourth Street, St. Paul | Schnitzel, pretzels, brats, and other German standards, plus beer.
- Fig + Farro, 3001 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | Vegetarian food in the semi-cursed former Figlio’s space.
- Sound, 132 E Superior St, Duluth | An ambitious new spot by Chef Patrick Moore (above), formerly of Silos at Pier B.
- Hodges Bend, 2700 University Ave W, St. Paul | Coffee, wine, and cocktails with a side of food.
- Nye’s Bar, 112 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | A reboot of the legendary Nye’s Polonaise, in a new space at the Nye’s location, renovated and sans food. Our review here.
- Sonder Shaker, 130 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | A new restaurant and cocktail bar sharing the site of the old Nye’s Polonaise.
- Red Sauce Rebellion, 205 Water St, Excelsior | “Approachable yet unexpected” Italian. Our first tastes.
- Venn Brewing, 3550 E 46th St Suite 140, Minneapolis | A changing selection of brews in this taproom near Minnehaha Park.
- Hamburguesas el Gordo, 4157 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis (second location) | Our review of the original location.
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Viking Bar (again)
- Vescio’s Italian Restaurant (March)
- Wild Onion (end of March)
- Cap’s Grille
- Som Taste (here’s our review)
- Smalley’s Caribbean Barbecue
- El Burrito Minneapolis, 4814 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis | June 2018 | A new El Burrito Mercado restaurant in the former Pepitos next to the Parkway Theater.
- Cajun Twist at The Trailhead, Theodore Wirth Park, Golden Valley | Summer 2018 | Gumbo, red beans and rice, jambalaya, and more including beer and wine served up daily out of The Trailhead, a new facility coming to Theodore Wirth Park park this summer.
- The Bungalow Club, 4300 East Lake Street, Minneapolis | April 2018 | A neighborhood establishment focused on fresh pastas in the former Craftsman space.
- All Square, 4047 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis | Spring 2018 | Grilled cheese restaurant working to reduce prison recidivism.
- Montreal-Style Deli (name TBD), 901 W Lake St, Minneapolis | Late spring | A project focusing on smoked fish and meats, plus cocktails. By Adam Eaton, Tim Niver, and Saint Dinette’s GM Laurel Elm.
- La Mesa, 230 Cedar Lake Road S, Minneapolis | Soon | Ecuadoran fare in the former Sparks space.
- Royal Foundry Craft Spirits, 241 Fremont Ave N, Minneapolis | 2018 | British-inspired spirits distilled in Minneapolis.
- Dayton’s Food Hall & Market, 700 Nicollet Mall | Mid-2019 | Major new 40,000 square foot food hall curated by Andrew Zimmern.
- Finnegans Taproom, 525 S Eighth St, Minneapolis | March | The charitably focused brewer is poised to open its new brewery and taproom.
- New Tori Ramen Project, 2203 44th Ave N, Minneapolis | March | A new ramen restaurant and noodle manufacturing facility in the former Victory 44 location from the owners of Tori Ramen.
- Prime Six, 609 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | Early 2018 | A mishmash of everything upscale from around the world, plus a dance floor. In the old Rosa Mexicano space.
- Popol Vuh and Centro | May | A two-restaurants-in-one, high-concept/street-food purveyor with a Mexican emphasis. From the team behind the successful Lyn65 in Richfield. UPDATE, 2/6/18, via Cast Iron Communications: “Centro will open first followed by Popol Vuh and they are looking at Spring time (April/May) as of now.”
- Geek Love at Moon Palace Books, 3032 Minnehaha Ave S, Minneapolis | March | The bookstore has moved two blocks north of its previous location; the Geek Love restaurant portion should be open next month.
- Diamond BBQ, 5400 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | Early 2018 | Barbecue, escargot, beef tartare, and more. By Daniel del Prado of the recently-opened Martina.
- The Sioux Chef Restaurant at Water Works (on the Mississippi, behind the Mill City Museum) | 2019
- Minnesota Barbecue Company, 816 Lowry Ave NE, Minneapolis | Spring | A Kansas-City-style barbecue place to be led by Chef Kale Thome of the Travail team (and a Kansas native). Doing pop-ups around town until the official opening.
- Funky Grits, 805 E 38th St, Minneapolis | Spring | A soul food spot in the home of the short-lived Hell’s Chicken and Fish.
- Malcolm Yards Market, 501 30th Ave SE, Minneapolis | 2019 | A food market that will capitalize on its proximity to Surly’s massive brewery/restaurant complex.
- The Grand Catch, 1672 Grand Ave, St. Paul | Early summer | The Wadi brothers and Thien Ly of Cajun Deli will open a seafood shack on Grand Avenue.
- Keg and Case revitalization of the Schmidt Brewery, 928 W 7th St, St. Paul | 2018 | Featuring restaurants by the teams behind Corner Table, and Five Watt, plus Sweet Science ice cream.
- Parlour Bar, 271 W 7th St, St. Paul | Early 2018 | The popular Minneapolis Warehouse District bar-restaurant is branching out into St. Paul.
Greater Twin Cities Area and Beyond
- Corktown Deli and Brews, 1906 W Superior St, Duluth | Spring | Minnesota beer and New York-inspired deli in Duluth’s booming Lincoln Park neighborhood, by the creators of the Duluth Grill.
- Garage Bowl and Bar, 16 W. 1st St, Waconia | September 2019 | Boutique bowling, brick oven pizzas, and a high-quality bar program in downtown Waconia.
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by the Heavy Table. If you have tips for The Tap, please email James Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org.