Patriots Tavern (opening in March)
145 New England Pl, Stillwater | www.roman-market.com/patriotindex.html
Brothers Brent and Brian Pilrain of Roma Restaurant and Market in Willernie have been working for months on their new concept, Patriots Tavern, which hopes to recreate the cozy taverns of 18th-century New England. Brian Pilrain said executive chef Brent’s menu mimics staple choices of affluent colonial Americans, including hearty meats, seafood, stews, and a unique historical nugget, peanut soup.
“Brent’s passion for hearty cuisine is the driving force behind the menu and the theme,” Brian said. “The concept is a local tavern in 1776 in colonial America. Hardwood floors and a walnut bar with booths from local maple trees give a rustic sense of tradition and craft. The hearth-oven fire both cooks the food and provides ambiance and warmth in the dining room as the open kitchen breathes of bustling culinary life and fun interaction between the chefs and patrons.”
Beer is vital to the concept, and Brian said their list would “capture the essence of traditional English ales as well as domestic craft ales and lagers,” including the entire Sam Adams line.
“My patriotic fervor and love of cooking makes me excited to bring this concept to Stillwater’s Liberty Village, which exemplifies the simple beauty of the family life and times of our early colonial brothers and sisters,” Brent Pilrain said.
The opening is set for sometime in March.
West Indies Soul Food (closing Feb. 25)
920 E Lake St #114, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | westindiessoulfood.com
The Midtown Global Market is losing Sharon Noel’s fantastic outpost. Unfortunately tucked in a low-traffic area of the market, West Indies Soul Food boasted some of the state’s best comfort food, like red snapper, jerk chicken, seasoned rice, and greens. Noel plans to continue the catering aspect of the business and hopefully her state fair booth, which is good, because she filled a unique niche in the local food community. “My intent has and will always be cook with love, and I believe I got that message out by the quality of my food,” she said. Noel said she is also working on a book, Cooking With Love, and may expand to a street food cart. West Indies is also serving brunch from 11am to 2pm Feb. 20 at the Market.
Urban Eatery (now open)
2730 W Lake St, Minneapolis | myurbaneatery.com
The View’s old space wasn’t dormant long — it’s now open as Urban Eatery, another of the many irons Kim Talebi has in the fire, including his soon-to-open downtown Crave and Sopranos Italian Kitchen. The Urban Eatery menu was created by Crave’s Jim Kyndberg and Eli Wollenzien and “will offer chef-driven food all available at a reasonable price point,” Talebi said. According to a release, the space is a “warm, cozy urban diner” and will “offer an international twist on a variety of pub favorites” like apps, burgers, salads, pizzas, etc. And a free valet, which is kind of cool. Talebi hit a nerve with Crave; coupling his guidance with a sweet Lake Calhoun location is probably a winner.
- Smashburger, 8045 Flying Cloud Dr, Eden Prairie | smashburger.com
- Sweets Bakeshop, 4747 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | sweetsbakeshop.com
- Urban Eatery, 2730 W Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.920.5000 | myurbaneatery.com
- Aji Japanese, 712 Main St, Hopkins | 952.358.3558 | ajicj.com
- 50th Street Cafe, 3808 W 50th St, Minneapolis
- The Lowbrow, 4244 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.208.0720 | thelowbrowmpls.com
- Harriet Brewing, 3036 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis | 651.491.8979 | harrietbrewing.com
- Heidi’s, 2903 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.354.3512 | heidismpls.com
- Mazopiya, 27571 Credit Union Dr, Prior Lake | 952.233.9140 | mazopiya.com
- Himalayan Restaurant II, 765 53rd Ave NE, Fridley | 763.586.9800
- The Herb Box, 755 Prairie Center Dr, Eden Prairie | 952.829.8484 | theherbbox.com
- Andiamo Italian Ristorante, 1629 Lena Ct, Eagan | 651.289.2000 | andiamomn.com
- University Buffet, 225 University Ave, St. Paul | 651.366.6858
- Le CrazyTaste Bakery, 1316 SE 4th St, Minneapolis | 612.331.4388
- On’s Thai Kitchen, 1613 University Ave W, St Paul | 651.644.1444
- Lucy’s, 3025 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.344.5829
- Cocina del Barrio, 5036 France Ave S, Edina | 952-920-1860 | barriotequila.com
- Naviya’s Thai Brasserie, 2812 W 43rd St, Minneapolis | 612.276.5062
- Pollo Campero, 1572 S Robert St, St. Paul | campero.com
- Hazel’s Northeast, 2859 Johnson St NE, Minneapolis | 612.788.4778 | hazelsnortheast.com
- North Washington Cafe, 700 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.236.9444 | northwashingtoncafe.com
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- West Indies Soul Food, 920 E Lake St #114, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market – closing Feb. 25) | 612.870.2920 | westindiessoulfood.com
- Pearson’s Edina Restaurant, 3808 W 50th St, Minneapolis
- Fishman’s Delicatessen and Bakery, 4100 Minnetonka Blvd, Minneapolis, closing Feb. 21 | 952.926.5611 | fishmanskosher.com
- Margaux’s Table, 4746 Washington Sq, White Bear Lake
- Town Talk Diner, 2707 E Lake St, Minneapolis
- Liberty Frozen Custard, 5401 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis
- Om, 401 First Ave N, Minneapolis
- Volnay Bistro Bar, 331 Broadway, Wayzata. Reopening in new location this spring. | volnaybistro.com
- Nordeast Eatery, 2100 Summer St NE, Minneapolis
- Classic Pizza, 1048 Rice St, St. Paul
- Chateau Lamothe, 14351 Nicollet Ct, Burnsville
- The Kitchen, 324 Main St S, Stillwater
- Humble Pie, 822 W 36th St, Minneapolis. Kim Bartmann’s revamp of Gigi’s, coming this month. | 612.825.0818
- Boiler Coffee Room, 1820 3rd Ave S, Minneapolis. Opening in February.
- Black Sheep Pizza, Rossmor Building, 500 N Robert St, St. Paul. Opening in February. | 612.342.COAL | blacksheeppizza.com
- Cowboy Jack’s, 2801 Southtown Dr, Bloomington. Opening set for February / March.
- The Bullfrog, 1111 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens March 1.
- Patriots Tavern, 145 New England Pl, Stillwater. Scheduled to open in March. | www.roman-market.com/patriotindex.html
- Sun Street Breads, 4600 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. A brick-and-mortar location for Solveig Tofte, opening in March. | sunstreetbreads.com
- Sopranos Italian Kitchen, 5331 W 16th St, St. Louis Park. Opens late March 2011. | sopranosmn.com
- Masu Sushi & Robata, 330 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opening spring 2011. | www.masusushiandrobata.com
- Turtle Bread, 4205 E 34th St, Minneapolis. Opening February / March 2011. | turtlebread.com
- Pat’s Tap, 3510 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Opening spring 2011. | 612-825-3229
- Cranky’s Bicycle Bar, E Lake St, Minneapolis. Opening spring 2011. | crankysbicyclebar.com
- Wuollet Bakery, 200 S 6th St (US Bank Plaza skyway), Minneapolis. Opening spring 2011. | www.wuollet.com
- Chilango Cantina, 212 E 7th St, St. Paul. Opening late April / early May 2011.
- Crave, 825 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Former Palomino space. Opening this spring. | craveamerica.com
- Tangletown Gardens restaurant, 5401 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Opening in former Liberty Frozen Custard location.
- American Burger Bar, 800 LaSalle Pl (8th and Hennepin), Minneapolis | americanburgerbar.com
- Blue Point, 4400 78th St, Bloomington. Opening spring 2011.
- Las Tortillas Mexican Restaurant, 15051 Crestone Ave, Rosemount
- Maeve’s Cafe, 300 13th Ave NE, Minneapolis. Opening spring 2011. | 612.379.1033 | maeves.com
- Tilia, 2726 W 43rd St, Minneapolis | 612.618.3069 | tiliampls.com
- The Lowry Cafe, 2207 Lowry Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.284.7087
- Bread & Pickle, Lake Harriet bandshell, Minneapolis. Opening April 1, 2011, weather permitting.
- Burger Jones,1617 County Rd 42, Burnsville. Opens in May 2011. | burgerjones.com
- Rosa Mexicano, 6th and Hennepin, Minneapolis (in City Center next to Fogo de Chao) | rosamexicano.com
- Pizza Ranch, 1220 Highway 25 S Suite 104, Monticello | 320.250.8095 | pizzaranch.com
- Blue Door Pub, E 26th St and Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis
- Betty’s Pies, Mall of America | bettyspies.com
- Little Szechuan, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | littleszechuan.com
- La Crepe Nanou, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | lacrepenanou.com
- Huey’s 24/7 Diner, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | hueys247diner.com
- The Wine Loft, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | thewineloft.net
- YO!Sushi Company says five metro locations coming, first in Minneapolis in 2011. | yosushi.com
- Mill Valley Kitchen, 3900 Excelsior Blvd, St. Louis Park
- Blue Plate restaurant 2112 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis. In old Hollywood Video location.
The Tap is The Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker, and will be published biweekly. If you already subscribe to our newsletter, look for an emailed version of The Tap every other week — otherwise, you can find it on the website on alternating Tuesdays.
If you’ve got tips for The Tap, please email Jason Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.