Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
August’s winner: Jane Cracraft of St. Louis Park
North Coast Nosh VI
The Heavy Table and American Swedish Institute are hosting the sixth edition of the North Coast Nosh locavore sip-and-sample series Oct. 13 from 5-8pm. Purveyors set to sample include 10,000 Licks, Alemar Cheese Company, Bliss Granola, Caves of Faribault, Cedar Summit Farm, Chowgirls Killer Catering, The Cookie Cart, Corner Table, Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese, Fika, Gai Gai Thai, Gamle Ode Dill Aquavit, Golden Fig, Ingebretsen’s, Joia Soda, Kalona SuperNatural, Lift Bridge Brewery, Lucid Brewing, Modern Cafe, Pashen, Patisserie 46, Peace Coffee, Poor Boy Candy, Roastery 7, The Sample Room, Seven Sundays Granola, Seward Co-op, Shepherd’s Ridge Creamery, Swedish Crown Bakery, Treat Bake Shop, Verdant Tea and Wild Run Salmon. Get tickets here before they sell out; proceeds benefit American Swedish Institute and support Heavy Table.
Nightingale (opens today)
2551 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis
Carrie McCabe-Johnston, a veteran of Brasa, Alma, and Solera, and husband Jasha Johnston, a longtime Mortimer’s bartender, had always wanted to open their own place. While traveling, the pair was inspired by restaurants focused on social dining — places that keep friends happy for hours over small shared plates, interesting cocktails, and wine.
That vision is all coming together as the couple opens Nightingale today with an initial menu of eclectic tapas-style small plates: deviled eggs with caviar, four grilled bruschettas, a traditional Italian meatball, salt-and-pepper prawns with sweet chili sauce, steak tartare, and braised cauliflower with harissa as well as bar staples like mussels, chicken wings, and a burger.
“We knew we wanted to open something and got the idea of a full-service restaurant with an eclectic menu,” McCabe-Johnston said. “Just interesting flavors on a tapas-style format but not Spanish-driven. Then we saw the space open up and knew it was perfect.”
Brunch will also be served from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundays and will include a yeasted waffle, cornmeal crepes with fresh ricotta, and duck confit hash, as well as a few things from the nighttime menu.
Johnston is behind the drink menu and has a list of eight unique cocktails as well as eight takes on standards like the Manhattan and sidecar, and he also plans to change the cocktail menu as seasonal ingredients or new liquors become available. There will be 16 tap beers — all crafts — and a short but focused wine list.
After a few delays and an intensive buildout, the Nightingale crew is ready for business. Besides the Sunday brunch, regular hours will be 4 p.m.-1 a.m. Tuesday-Saturday.
“As crazy and hectic as things are right now, we couldn’t be happier,” McCabe-Johnston said. “We just have restaurants and service in our bones. Our whole career path has kind of led us to this.”
Hurricane Grill & Wings (now open)
12950 Aldrich Ave S, Burnsville | 952.224.9464
The first Minnesota outpost of Hurricane Grill & Wings opened last week in Burnsville, with another set for Minnetonka in February. Hurricane Grill & Wings is probably just what you think: a beach-themed wing joint with beer and burgers. Here’s a quote from a press release: “Hurricane Grill & Wings is looking forward to bringing our casual, flavor vacation to the people of Minnesota. Even during the cold winters, Burnsville locals will now be able to find themselves at their favorite beach hangout.” Are our winters cold?
I poke fun, but at least Hurricane is the classier new wing joint in Burnsville.
- Nightingale, 2551 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis
- Butter Bakery Cafe, 3700 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Moved from old location. | 612.521.7401
- Summit Brewing Taproom, 910 Montreal Circle, St. Paul | 651.265.7800
- Bread, Coffee & Cake, 750 Minnesota 110, Mendota Heights | 651.688.0798
- Maya Cuisine, 1840 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis | 612.789.0775
- Cakewalk, 303 Division St S, Northfield | 507.786.9255
- Cool Cups Yogurt, 120 S 6th St, Minneapolis | 612.338.5044
- Sports Restaurant and Coffee, 1501 S 6th St, Minneapolis | 612.367.4186
- Daalo Grill, 2647 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.353.5911
- The Gray House, 610 W Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.823.4338
- Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub, 2724 E 38th St, Minneapolis | 612.328.1450
- Figlio, 5331 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park | 952.345.2400
- Ike’s, 17805 Hwy 7, Minnetonka | 952.681.7099
- Cow Bella Gelato, 1700 Grand Ave, St. Paul | 651.340.0585
- Bar Louie, 1348 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis | 612.824.1529
- Camden Tavern & Grill, 4601 Lyndale Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.529.4490
- Tawakal Restaurant, 12609 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville | 952.500.8954
- Fat Nat’s, 2700 39th Ave, St. Anthony Village
- The Rack Bar & Grill, 13050 Aldrich Ave, Burnsville | 952.736.7730
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, 2137 W 80 1 / 2th St, Bloomington | 952.513.7182
- The Kenwood, 2115 W 21st St, Minneapolis | 612.377.3695
- Cafe Maude at Loring, 1612 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis | 612.767.9080
- Murray’s, 26 S 6th St, Minneapolis. Open again after remodel. | 612.339.0909
- Little Tijuana, 17 E 26th St, Minneapolis | 612.872.0578
- Eat Shop Kitchen/Bar, 16605 County Rd 24, Plymouth | 763.270.5929
- Yogurt Lab, 80 8th St S, Minneapolis (IDS Center skyway) | 612.886.3084
- Copper Pot Indian Grill, 10 S 5th St, Minneapolis | 612.331.6677
- Five Guys, 2300 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.224.9161
- Foxy Falafel, 791 Raymond Ave, St. Paul | 651.243.0813
- Indeed Brewing, 711 15th Ave NE, Minneapolis | 612.643.1226
- People’s Organic, IDS Center Crystal Court (80 S 8th St), Minneapolis | 612.208.0021
CLOSED / CLOSING (updated 12:30 p.m.):
- El Meson, 3450 Lyndale Avenue S, Minneapolis
- Cowboy Slims, 1320 W Lake St, Minneapolis
- Roly Poly, 7733 Flying Cloud Dr, Eden Prairie
- Quba, 1501 S 6th St, Minneapolis
- Nora’s Seafood Market, 628 Central Ave SE, Minneapolis
- Avenue Eatery, 1101 W Broadway Ave, Minneapolis
- Papa’s Pizza, 4159 Thomas Ave N, Minneapolis
- Aura, 3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- Insert Coins, 315 First Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens Oct. 26. | 612.564.4016
- Northgate Brewing, 3134 California St NE, Minneapolis. Opens for growler sales in October. | 612.234.1056
- Solomon’s Bakery, 2827 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis
- Sabbai Cuisine, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market). Opens in October. | 952.233.5662
- Well Seasoned, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | 612.886.2489
- Azia Market Bar & Restaurant, 2550 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.813.1200
- Smack Shack, Washington Ave N and 6th Ave N, Minneapolis.
- The Belmore, 25 4th St N, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Parka, 4023 E Lake St, Minneapolis.
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Republic, 3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in November.
- The Lynn on Bryant, 50th St and Bryant Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- New Bohemia, 233 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.275.3972
- Tangiers Eatery and Lounge, 116 First Ave N, Minneapolis.
- Dangerous Man Brewing, 1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | 612.209.2626
- The Original Just Turkey Restaurant, 3758 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Yogurt Lab, 5007 France Ave S, Minneapolis; 309 SE Oak St, Minneapolis
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.408.7063
- Fitger’s Brewhouse, 107 3rd Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Burch, 1942 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Isaac Becker’s planned steakhouse in old Burch Pharmacy; opens in late 2012/early 2013.
- World Street Kitchen, 2743 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- 612 Brew taproom, 945 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Union, 733 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in November.
- Origami, 1352 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Moving from Minnetonka location; opens Dec. 1.
- Town Hall Tap, 5019 34th Ave S, Minneapolis
- Unnamed Kim Bartmann restaurant, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis
- Seward Cafe, 2129 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis. Opening for dinner service. | 612.332.1011
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th and Chicago, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012/early 2013.
- Sandcastle, Lake Nokomis, Minneapolis. Doug Flicker’s concessionaire restaurant at the lake. Opens spring 2013.
- Louis, 211 7th St W, St. Paul. Cossetta’s market opening new rooftop restaurant; opens in mid-October. | 651.222.3476
- French Hen, 518 Selby Ave, St. Paul. Opens this fall. | 651.208.2708
- Bullpen Saloon, 395 Robert St N, St. Paul. Opens this fall. | 651.335.7503
- Sakana Sushi & Asian Bistro, 740 Cleveland Ave S, St. Paul
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Betty’s Cafe and Pies, 1981 Silver Bell Rd, Eagan. Opens Oct. 18. | 612.227.6999
- People’s Organic, 12934 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka | 952.938.4140
- Raku Modern Japanese Cuisine, 5371 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park
- Redstone American Grill, 12109 Main St, Maple Grove
- Sweet Ducky Cupcakery, 117 W Churchill St #2, Stillwater. Opens this fall. | 651.472.1150
- Sole Mio, 1750 Weir Dr, Woodbury. Opens this fall. | 651.789.3220
- Steak America, 2400 Cliff Rd, Burnsville | 763.258.6881
- Steel Toe Brewing Taproom, 4848 W 35th St, St. Louis Park. Opens late 2012. | 952.955.9965
- Hammerheart Brewing, 7785 Lake Dr, Lino Lakes. Opens late 2012. | 651.964.2160
- Sushi Fix, 862 E Lake St, Wayzata | 612.532.0305
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker. If you have tips for The Tap, please email Jason at email@example.com.