The Kenwood, Pizzeria Lola, Ike’s Minnetonka, Copper Pot Indian Grill, and more
Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at email@example.com.
July’s winner: Mike Haight of Minneapolis
The Kenwood (opens Sept. 6)
2115 W 21st St, Minneapolis
How does all-day service from Don Saunders sound?
That’s the plan at The Kenwood, set to open next week right off Lake of the Isles in the former Kenwood Cafe space. Saunders, owner of the critically acclaimed In Season (winner of Best New Establishment in our 2010 Silver Whisk Awards), is creating most everything himself, with only coffee (Dogwood) and pastries (Patisserie 46) outsourced. The days will look like this:
- Breakfast from 8-10am with the aforementioned coffee and pastries as well as seasonal fruit, yogurt, and granola from Saunders’ kitchen.
- Everyday brunch from 10am-2pm with poached eggs, pancakes, huevos rancheros, and biscuits and gravy as well as more traditional lunch dishes like seared tuna salad, burgers, and sandwiches.
- Snack menu from 2-5pm with quick bites like crostini, marinated olives, a hummus platter, a small charcuterie plate, and “duck offal cigars” of duck confit meat and duck livers in brick pastry. Yes, please.
All that before dinner, which starting at 5pm will meld some of Saunders’ more elegant, inspired dishes a la In Season with a few more casual options.
“Our concept was determined by both what I know how to do and what the neighborhood was looking for,” Saunders said. “We saw a big demand for everything: coffee, breakfast, lunch, dinner. And wine and beer has been something the neighbors have wanted.”
Saunders (above) said he had always liked the idea of week-long brunch, so The Kenwood was giving him a fun opportunity to step back from dinner mode and deliver things like rock-solid coffee service.
“It was really cool keeping it familiar enough to not scare people away but still have fun with the menu,” he said. “The cooking style is not going to change from what I’ve always done, which is European influenced and dabbles in all sorts of regionality and seasonality of dishes.
“I want people to feel like it’s the type of restaurant where you can entertain a client or friend and do a crazy-fancy menu that’s sit-down formal and classy, but those same people can stop down last-minute on a Tuesday night and have a burger.”
Hello Pizza (coming soon)
3904 Sunnyside Rd, Edina
Still packing them in nearly two years after opening, Pizzeria Lola appears to be expanding into the former Franklin Street Bakery space next to the Convention Grill off France Ave. Given the surrounding upscale neighborhood and relative lack of nearby restaurants not slinging burgers and malts, it sounds like a slam dunk for owner Ann Kim and her raved-about
wood-fired pizzas. UPDATE 08.28.12: The restaurant will be Hello Pizza, with New York style slices and 16-inch pies. Read our update here.
Ike’s (opens this summer)
17805 Hwy 7, Minnetonka
Stalled for a while now, the new Minnetonka location of Ike’s is gaining steam. The Minnetonka Planning Commission recently OK’d plans for an expanded patio at Ike’s, and the City Council was likely to approve the request at its meeting last night. From reading the commission’s report it appears an oddly shaped lot required some variances from the city, causing the slog.
The location, dormant for some time, most recently was occupied by Prima.
Copper Pot Indian Grill (now open)
10 S 5th St, Minneapolis | 612.331.6677
Just opened last week in the Lumber Exchange building, Copper Pot Indian Grill has a huge menu and daily buffet as well as a full bar. Judging by the sleek interior, Copper Pot hopes to attract more than just weekday lunchers, and the prices (entrees $15-$28) would suggest they’re hoping for an upscale dinner crowd despite its location at one of downtown’s sketchiest intersections. Regardless, there’s not much for Indian food in that general vicinity, so nearby workers will likely be pleased as punch.
- Copper Pot Indian Grill, 10 S 5th St, Minneapolis | 612.331.6677
- Glory :Days, 500 5thAve NW, New Brighton. Revamped sports bar from :D-Spot owner. | 651.633.2226
- Foxy Falafel, 791 Raymond Ave, St. Paul | 651.243.0813
- Five Guys, 2300 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.224.9161
- Indeed Brewing, 711 15th Ave NE, Minneapolis | 612.643.1226
- People’s Organic, IDS Center Crystal Court (80 S 8th St), Minneapolis | 612.208.0021
- Lone Oak Grill, 3010 Eagandale Pl, Eagan | 651.789.2081
- Spice Thai Cafe, 7704 160th St, Lakeville | 952.997.7423
- Bon Vie Cafe / A Piece of Cake, now combined at 485 Selby Ave, St. Paul | 651.846.0016
- Pizza Luce, 800 W 66th St, Richfield | 612.767.8603
- El Burrito Mercado, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market)
- Masu Sushi & Robata, Third Floor, Mall of America | 952.896.6278
- Somos Peru, 6009 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. | 612.244.3400
- Rusty Taco, 522 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.278.5630
- Nadia Cakes, 11650 Fountains Dr, Ste 207, Maple Grove | 763.575.8885
- Sorrento Cucina Italiana, 623 Marquette Ave (Northstar Center Skyway), Minneapolis
- Primebar, 3001 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.235.4295
- Dilla’s Ethiopian Restaurant, 1813 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis | 612.290.1701
- La Loma, 444 Cedar St (Town Square skyway), St. Paul | 651.202.3153
- Fika, 2600 Park Ave S (American Swedish Institute), Minneapolis | 612.871.4907
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Wellman’s Pub, 26 N 5th St, Minneapolis
- Falafel King, 1851 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis
- Cafe Zia, 2723 Lexington Ave N, Roseville. Closing Aug. 31. | 651.484.0434
- Sosa Foods Deli, 3909 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis
- The Hanger Room, 310 Stillwater Rd, Willernie
- Murray’s, 26 S 6th St, Minneapolis. Closed for renovation; will re-open in early September. | 612.339.0909
- Coffee News Cafe, 1662 Grand Ave, St. Paul
- Sopranos, 5331 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park
- :D-Spot, 1993 Burns Ave, St. Paul
- Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub, 2724 E 38th St, Minneapolis. Opens Sept. 10. | 612.328.1450
- The Gray House, 610 W Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens in September.
- Nightingale, 2551 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in September.
- Cafe Maude at Loring, 1612 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis. Opens in September. | 612.767.9080
- Bar Louie, 1348 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in September.
- Tangiers Eatery and Lounge, 116 First Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens in September.
- Little Tijuana, 17 E 26th St, Minneapolis. Reopening this summer. | 612.872.0578
- Northgate Brewing, 3134 California St NE, Minneapolis. Opens for growler sales in October. | 612.234.1056
- Well Seasoned, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | 612.886.2489
- Azia Market Bar & Restaurant, 2550 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.813.1200
- Smack Shack, Washington Ave N and 6th Ave N, Minneapolis.
- The Belmore, 25 4th St N, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Republic, 3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens late fall.
- New Bohemia, 233 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- The Lynn on Bryant, 50th St and Bryant Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Dangerous Man Brewing, 1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | 612.377.4164
- The Original Just Turkey Restaurant, 3758 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Yogurt Lab, 80 8th St S, Minneapolis (IDS Center skyway); 5007 France Ave S, Minneapolis; 309 SE Oak St, Minneapolis
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.408.7063
- Fitger’s Brewhouse, 107 3rd Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Burch, 1942 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Isaac Becker’s planned steakhouse in old Burch Pharmacy; opens in late 2012 /early 2013.
- World Street Kitchen, 2743 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- 612 Brew taproom, 945 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012.
- Union, 733 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in November.
- Origami, 1352 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Moving from Minnetonka location; opens Dec. 1.
- Unnamed Kim Bartmann restaurant, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis
- Mill City Cafe, NE Minneapolis. Still searching for new location.
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th St and Chicago Ave, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012 /early 2013.
- Sandcastle, Lake Nokomis, Minneapolis. Doug Flicker’s concessionaire restaurant at the lake. Opens spring 2013.
- Summit Brewing Taproom, 910 Montreal Cir, St. Paul. Opens late September. | 651.265.7800
- Louis, 211 7th St W, St. Paul. Cossetta’s market opening new rooftop restaurant; opens in mid-October. | 651.222.3476
- French Hen, 518 Selby Ave, St. Paul. Opens this fall.
- Bullpen Saloon, 395 Robert St N, St. Paul. Opens this summer.
- Sakana Sushi & Asian Bistro, 740 Cleveland Ave S, St. Paul
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Eat Shop Kitchen / Bar, 16605 County Rd 24, Plymouth. Opens mid-September. | 763.270.5929
- Figlio, 5331 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park. Opens Sept. 24
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, Penn Ave S and American Blvd, Bloomington.
- Bread, Coffee & Cake, 750 Minnesota 110, Mendota Heights
- Fat Nat’s, 2700 39th Ave, St. Anthony Village
- Raku Modern Japanese Cuisine, 5371 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park
- Ike’s, 17805 Hwy 7, Minnetonka. Opens this fall.
- Sweet Ducky Cupcakery, 117 W Churchill St #2, Stillwater. Opens this summer. | 651.472.1150
- Sole Mio, 1750 Weir Dr, Woodbury. Opens in September.
- Hurricane Grill & Wings, Burnsville. Opens in October.
- Cakewalk, 303 Division St S, Northfield. Opens this fall.
- Steel Toe Brewing Taproom, 4848 W 35th St, St. Louis Park. Opens late 2012. | 952.955.9965
- Hammerheart Brewing, 7785 Lake Dr, Lino Lakes. Opens late 2012. | 651.964.2160
- Tawakal Restaurant, 12609 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville | 952.500.8954
Pizzeria LolaHello Pizza, 3904 Sunnyside Rd, Edina. Opens in early 2013.
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker. If you have tips for The Tap, please email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org.