Parka, Offering Coffee and Food, Now Open in Longfellow
Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so weâ€™re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro areaâ€™s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything thatâ€™s â€ścoming soon,â€ť email Tap editor Jason Walker at email@example.com.
Decemberâ€™s winner: Paul Schadewald of St. Paul
North Coast Nosh VII Tickets No Longer Available
The seventh edition of Heavy Table’s sip-and-sample series is sold out, but we look forward to announcing the details of North Coast Nosh VIII (at the American Swedish Institute) in mid-February.
Parka (now open)
4023 E Lake St, Minneapolis
Just opened last Wednesday, Parka, a project from the owners of Victory 44, Dogwood Coffee, and Rustica, pours a mean cup of coffee and is another of the cool coffee shop / cafe / bar amalgams opening lately around the city.
The shop opens at 7 a.m. for pastries and coffee, starts serving lunch at 11, and dinner at 5. The initial menu, created by Victory 44â€™s Erick Harcey, includes starters like broccoli salad with bacon, sunflower seeds, golden raisins, and sesame; waldorf salad with grapes, apple, kale, and cheese; and chopped livers with bacon, maple, and walnuts. I think the only time Iâ€™ve seen broccoli salad on a Minnesota menu was at Valentinoâ€™s in Montevideo. Bravo.
Entrees will fit right into this cold snap: goulash (above), spare ribs, pot roast, meatloaf sandwich. Thereâ€™s even a â€śsalisburyâ€ť pork chop with green bean casserole and gravy — everything on the menu sounded amazing to this food-lovin’ country boy.
Beer includes three Indeed taps and a few bottles, mostly locals like Boom Island and Olvalde. Wine is around, too, as are those terrific Joia sodas. The Rustica connection means top-tier pastries as well as loaves available for take-home.
In other words, folks in the Longfellow area are grinning ear-to-ear about this one.
Glam Doll Donuts (Opens Feb. 15)
2605 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
A late-night, retro-themed donut shop, Glam Doll Donuts is set to open Feb. 15 in a remodeled spot next to the Black Forest Inn. Owner Arwyn Birch said her co-owner, Teresa Fox, was creating the doughnut recipes from old family recipes and experimentation in her home kitchen. All doughnuts, fillings, and icings at Glam Doll will be made from scratch.
â€śOur menu philosophy is a twist on the classic with just a hint of unexpected,â€ť she said. â€śWe designed our menu with the intention of wanting people to be able to get their classic doughnut picks like the glazed raised or the raspberry Bismarck, but we also wanted to excite them with unexpected flavor combinations like our spicy Mexican doughnut with cayenne pecans.â€ť
Glam Doll will be serving Intellegentsia coffee and espresso alongside its doughnuts as well as tea and milk, and Birch and Fox are working to create vegan donuts for the menu, too.
Open seven days a week, Glam Doll will open at 7 a.m. each day and stay open until 2 a.m. from Thursday-Saturday. Thereâ€™s also a special Grand Opening party planned for March 2.
Dangerous Man Brewing (now open)
1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | 612.209.2626
After a lengthy launch process, Dangerous Man Brewing is open in Northeast Minneapolis, selling pints and growlers from 4 p.m. to midnight Fridays and noon to midnight Saturdays. The tap selection is rotating, but the killer-sounding selection recently included IPA, Chocolate Milk Stout, Belgian Golden Strong, Cream Ale, Coffeeshop Porter, and American Rye Pale Ale. Beers are available in 10-ounce and 16-ounce pours as well as flights; thereâ€™s homemade soda, too. Dangerous Man doesnâ€™t have a kitchen, but BYOF is encouraged.
Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe (opens this spring)
56th St and Chicago Ave, Minneapolis
Remember Rocky and Shemâ€™s? Awhile back, The Tap had talked to Jim Bozic about his dog-friendly neighborhood ice cream parlor, but he hit a fundraising snag. Well, heâ€™s still working to finally open, and even has an Indiegogo page to raise some dough for the store. Bozicâ€™s plan is for â€śbasic ice cream fare,â€ť coffee, and dog ice cream treats. So if thatâ€™s your thing, sounds like nowâ€™s the time to help make Rocky and Shemâ€™s happen; Bozic hopes to open this spring.
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens at 5 p.m. today.
- Parka, 4023 E Lake St, Minneapolis
- Dangerous Man Brewing, 1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | 612.209.2626
- Northgate Brewing, 3134 California St NE, Minneapolis. Beers available on tap only. | 612.234.1056
- Miltonâ€™s Cafe, 3545 Douglas Dr N, Crystal | 763.535.9373
- BYO Burger, 1221 S Robert St, West St. Paul | 651.457.4800
- Vitaliâ€™s Bistro, 5101 Minnetonka Blvd, St. Louis Park
- Sky Bites, 811 LaSalle Ave (skyway), Minneapolis | 612.767.2480
- The Sparrow Cafe, 5001 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.353.5177
- Borough, 730 Washington Ave, Minneapolis | 612.354.3135
- Bangkok Thai Deli, 333 University Ave, St. Paul. Reopened in new location. | 651.224.4300
- Sakana Sushi & Asian Bistro, 740 Cleveland Ave S, St. Paul
- Eat Street Eatery, 2718 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Redstone American Grill, 12109 Main St, Maple Grove | 763.420.0232
- Pour Decisions Brewery, 1744 Terrace Dr, Roseville | 612.567.6871
- Ward 6, 858 Payne Ave, St. Paul | 651.348.8181
- French Hen, 518 Selby Ave, St. Paul | 651.222.6201
- World Street Kitchen, 2743 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.840.2522
- Publika Tea and Coffee Union, 1315 4th St SE, Minneapolis | 612.378.0700
- Bullpen Sports Saloon, 395 Robert St N, St. Paul | 651.335.7503
- Kinney Creek Brewery, 1016 7th St NW, Rochester | 507.282.2739
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Pizza 3, 1556 Selby Ave, St. Paul
- Boston Garden, 1019 Mainstreet, Hopkins. Closing Jan. 31. | 952.933.7827
- River Room (inside Macyâ€™s), 411 Cedar St, St. Paul. Closes Jan. 31. | 651.292.5174
- Pandolfi, 3922 W 50th St, Edina | 952.928.3000
- Pardon My French, 1565 Cliff Rd, Eagan, and Mall of America
- Dâ€™Amico Kitchen at the Chambers Hotel, 901 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis
- Nokomis Grill, 5406 34th Ave S, Minneapolis
- Takk for Maten, 11 E Superior St, Duluth
- Origami, 12305 Wayzata Blvd, Minnetonka
- Italianis, 3508 E Lake St, Minneapolis
- Adagio Cafe, 5001 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis
- The Donut Cooperative, 2929 E 25th St, Minneapolis | 612.353.6089
- Smack Shack, Washington Ave N and 6th Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens Feb. 8. | 651.317.4717
- Zekeâ€™s Unchained Animal, 3508 E Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.720.9878
- Origami, 1352 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in February.
- Glam Doll Donuts, 2605 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis. Opens Feb. 15.
- Smoke in the Pit, 3733 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in February.
- Red Cow, 3624 W 50th St, Minneapolis. Opens in February. | 651.336.2179
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this winter. | 612.408.7063
- Burch Steak, Burch Pizza Bar, 1942 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Isaac Beckerâ€™s planned steakhouse in old Burch Pharmacy; opens in February.
- One Two Three Sushi, 80 S 8th St (IDS Center Skyway), Minneapolis. Opens in February. | 651.294.7000
- 612 Brew taproom, 945 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis. Opens early 2013. | 612.217.0437
- Potterâ€™s Pasties, 1827 Como Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this spring. | 612.819.3107
- The Nicollet Diner, 1428 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- The Original Just Turkey Restaurant, 3758 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Tangiers Eatery and Lounge, 116 First Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens in March.
- Seward Cafe, 2129 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis. Opening for dinner service. | 612.332.1011
- Broders Wine Bar, 2221 W 50th St, Minneapolis
- Tiny Diner, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis | 612.822.6302
- Spill the Wine, Lake St and Bryant Ave, Minneapolis. Moving from downtown location in April 2013. | 612.339.3388
- Morrisseyâ€™s Irish Pub, 913 W Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens early 2013.
- Marin, 901 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens summer 2013.
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th and Chicago, Minneapolis. Opens in 2013.
- Sandcastle, Lake Nokomis, Minneapolis. Doug Flickerâ€™s concessionaire restaurant at the lake. Opens spring 2013.
- Town Hall Tap, 5019 34th Ave S, Minneapolis
- Daily Diner Frogtown, 615 University Ave, St. Paul. Opens this winter. | 651.789.7661
- Las Sirenas, 199 Plato Blvd, St. Paul. Opens this winter. | 651.888.2233
- Shish Cafe expansion, 1672 Grand Ave, St. Paul
- Tacos, Nachos and Beer, 5 W 7th Pl, St. Paul. Opens this winter.
- Bang Brewing, 2320 Capp Rd, St. Paul. Opens in 2013.
- French Meadow, 1662 Grand Ave, St. Paul. Opens in 2013.
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Steel Toe Brewing Taproom, 4848 W 35th St, St. Louis Park. Opens in February. | 952.955.9965
- Hammerheart Brewing, 7785 Lake Dr, Lino Lakes. Opens early 2013. | 651.964.2160
- Hello Pizza, 3904 Sunnyside Rd, Edina. Opens early 2013.
- Sushi Fix, 862 E Lake St, Wayzata. Opens early 2013. | 612.532.0305
- Osaka Seafood and Steakhouse, Woodbury Lakes, Woodbury. Opens early 2013.
- Punch Pizza, City Centre Dr, Woodbury. Opens June 2013.
The Tap is the Heavy Tableâ€™s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker. If you have tips for The Tap, please email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no comments yet, add one below.