Di Noko’s Relocates and Cocoa & Fig Branches Out
Readers: Win The Secret Atlas of North Coast Food
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a copy of The Secret Atlas of North Coast Food to the best tipster of November and December. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor James Norton at email@example.com.
Di Noko’s (relocating; closing Nov. 10, reopening in new location on Nov. 22)
Moving to 420 S 4th St, Minneapolis
South Minneapolis just couldn’t contain Di Noko’s. The Chicago-style deep dish pizza joint has been doing a gangbusters delivery business since it opened three years ago, but has lacked the capacity to host guests. “Right from the beginning, I’ve wanted to do dine in,” says owner Rich Moore. “The deep dish is not a product that is delivered or is carried out very well.” (Here we part ways with Moore; we’ve had Di Noko’s deep dish delivered, and enjoyed it greatly.) “It’s a more fun experience when you sit down and it’s served.”
To that end: Di Noko’s is leaving the Nokomis neighborhood for which it was named and opening up shop in downtown Minneapolis near the Metrodome. The new restaurant will be going into the former Tickles (and before that, The Wagon) space. Moore will be renting the 4,000-square-foot space from the city, and says the new digs will be able to host 150 guests comfortably — plus some sidewalk seating when the weather cooperates. A partner business, Bar Zia, will operate from within the same space under the command of Moore’s friend Travis Phillips (no relation to the distillers).
The menu is likely to evolve, says Moore, with deep dish pizza, wings, and hamburgers at the core. “I’m kind of thinking of picking a few items around the country that aren’t offered here in Minneapolis that will kind of be our niche,” says Moore. “Like down South, there are 10,000 different hot chicken places… I’m thinking about doing a coney, very similar to the Gopher over in St. Paul — there’s nothing really offered in Minneapolis like that.”
Di Noko’s will be open late — the current plan is daily hours from 10:30am-2am, with a delivery zone big enough to include his old South Minneapolis stomping grounds. Moore says: “I’m going to stay loyal to my customers, they got me going. I’m not going to forget ’em.”
Cocoa & Fig (second retail location now open)
6807 York Ave S, Edina MN 55435
We’ve featured the refined treats of downtown boutique bakery Cocoa & Fig at a number of our North Coast Nosh events, and they’ve got plenty of devoted fans. But until recently, they’ve been difficult to regularly obtain for anyone outside of downtown Minneapolis, where parking is at a premium. But the bakery has branched out, opening an easily accessible new spot in Edina.
“We’re kind of picky, so we wanted it to be a great spot,” says co-owner Laurie Pyle. “A lot of people have told us it looks like a little Parisian place,” she adds, referring to the shop’s lime wallpaper and crown molding. The addition of the Edina location comes as Cocoa & Fig has hired on a baker, meaning that the menu can expand — Pyle says more cookies, bars, holiday pies, and three-layer cakes will start appearing in both her shops.
The second shop won’t replace the first. “We love the downtown location, we get asked all the time if we’re going to close it — and we’re not,” says Pyle. “But it’ll be nice to be in an area that’s a little more accessible.”
Prairie Dogs Hot Dogs & Handcrafted Sausage (new pop-up date — Nov. 17 from 2-8pm or until the dogs are gone)
Birch’s Restaurant and Bar, 1935 Wayzata Blvd, Long Lake, MN
We reported on a previous Prairie Dogs pop-up restaurant at First Course and dug their dogs; the Craig Johnson and Tobie Nidetz project is now heading west for a date at Birch’s Restaurant and Bar in Long Lake, MN.
- The Rabbit Hole, Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis
- Cafe 99, 1552 Como Ave S, St. Paul
- Insomnia Cookies, 402 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis
- The Claws Seafood Restaurant, 7100 Bass Lake Rd, New Hope, MN
- Brau Brothers Brewing Company taproom, 910 E Main St, Marshall, MN
- Dakota Junction, 2281 Commerce Blvd, Mound
- Bar Louie, 12653 Wayzata Blvd, Minnetonka
- Bluzy’s Roadside, 12530 Ulysses Street NE, Blaine
- Prairie Tap House, Eden Prairie Center
- Ray-Js, 500 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis
- Cocoa & Fig, 6807 York Ave S, Edina
- Madtown Munchies, 2042 Marshall Ave, St. Paul
- Cupcake, 181 Snelling Ave N, St. Paul
- Seventh Street Social, 2176 W 7th St | September 2013 | Our preview. | Our review.
- Eat Street Buddha Kitchen Lounge, 2550 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis | Our review.
- Kikugawa Sushi, Northstar Center Skyway, Minneapolis
- Spyhouse Coffee Northeast, 945 Broadway St NE
- Baldy’s BBQ, 1501 SE University Ave, Minneapolis
- Punch Pizza, City Centre Dr, Woodbury
- Keen Eye Coffee, 2803 E 38th St, Minneapolis | Our visit.
- Nico’s Taco and Tequila Bar, 2516 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | Our review.
- Vo’s, 3450 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | Our review.
- The Tangiers, 116 1st Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.599.2651 | Our review.
- Bang Brewing, 2320 Capp Rd, St. Paul
- The Torpedo Room (at Eat Street Social), 18 W 26th St, Minneapolis | Our visit.
- Perro Creek Tavern, Bayport, MN
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- The Bikery, 904 4th St S, Stillwater
- True Thai, 2627 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis | A re-opening is promised.
- Jerabek’s New Bohemian, 63 W Winifred St, St Paul
- Heidi’s, 2903 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis
- Lavvu Coffee House, 813 4th St SE Minneapolis
- St. Louis Park Woodfire Grill, 6501 Wayzata Blvd, St. Louis Park
- Little Tel Aviv, 3238 W Lake St, Minneapolis
- Sally’s Saloon and Eatery, 712 Washington Ave SE | Closed for remodeling until summer 2014.
- Buster’s on 28th, 4204 S 28th Ave, Minneapolis | Temporary closure due to fire.
- The Salad Bar, 40 S 7th St, Minneapolis
- Kyatchi, 3758 Nicollet Ave. South, Minneapolis
- Sociable Cider Werks, 1500 Fillmore St NE, Minneapolis
- Little Szechuan Stadium Village, 304 Oak St SE, Minneapolis
- Warming House Drinking Chocolate winter food truck | December 2013
- A Cupcake Social, near 38th St and 28th Ave | November 2013
- Lyn 65 Kitchen and Bar, Richfield
- Mango Sushi and Desserts, 233 Cedar Ave | 2013
- The Triton, 1610 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis | Late Fall 2013
- Betty Danger’s Country Club, 2519 Marshall St, Minneapolis | Early Spring 2014
- Hammer & Sickle Vodka Bar, 1300 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis | Fall 2013
- Coup d’état, Uptown Minneapolis | Late Fall 2013
- Day Block Brewing Company, 1105 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis | Fall 2013
- Sonora Grill, (second location) 3300 E Lake St | Winter 2013
- Russell and Desta Klein projects: Brasserie Zentral, Cafe Zentral, Foreign Legion wine bar, wine shop to be named, Soo Line Building | 2014
- Minnesota Honey Company, 4956 Xerxes Ave S, Minneapolis, 612.388.4304 | Opens autumn 2013
- Ray J’s, 500 Central Avenue SE (old Arone’s location) | Opens 2013
- Heyday, 2702 Lyndale Ave, Minneapolis | Opens February 2014
- La Fresca, 4750 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | Opens October 2013
- Lake & Irving, 1513 W Lake St, Minneapolis | Opens November 2013 | Our preview.
- Ling & Louie’s Kitchen, 9th St and Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
- The Nicollet Diner, 1428 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Tiny Diner, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis | 612.822.6302
- Unnamed Gastrotruck restaurant, 2400 University Ave NE, Minneapolis | Opens 2013
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th St and Chicago Ave, Minneapolis | Opens 2013
- Loose-Wiles Freehouse, 701 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis | Opens 2013
- Untitled seafood-themed project by the owners of the Strip Club, Lowertown, St. Paul
- Urban Growler Brewing Company 2325 Endicott St | Opens this winter
- French Meadow, 1662 Grand Ave | Opens 2013
- Burning Brothers Brewery, 1750 Thomas Ave, St. Paul
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Patrick’s Bakery Tarte Flambee restaurant, I-94 & Hemlock Ln, Maple Grove, MN | January 2014
- Jake’s Wayback Burgers, 8470 City Center Dr, Woodbury | 2013
- Castle Danger Brewery, Two Harbors brewery expansion and taproom | 2014
- Jordan Brewery, Jordan, MN | 2013
- Cafe Sol, Burnsville | Opening in doubt
- Honey & Rye Bakehouse, 4501 Excelsior Blvd, St. Louis Park
- Tin Whiskers Brewing Co., Roseville | Opens 2013
- Travail and The Rookery, Robbinsdale | Opens fall 2013
- Crooked Pint Ale House, Apple Valley; another location possible at 40th St and Lyndale Ave
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by the Heavy Table. If you have tips for The Tap, please email James Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Readers: Win The Secret Atlas of North Coast Food
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a copy of “The Secret Atlas of North Coast Food” to the best tipster of September and October. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor James Norton at email@example.com.