Readers: Win Tickets to the May 11 North Coast Nosh
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding two tickets to our May 11 North Coast Nosh at the American Swedish Institute to the best tipster of March and April. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor James Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Season (closing this summer, re-opening as new concept with a new name)
5416 Penn Ave South | 612.926.0105
As fans of the impeccably edited cooking of Don Saunders, we were initially horrified to hear that his flagship restaurant, In Season, would be closing early this summer. But it’s not an ending for the much-saluted South Minneapolis restaurant; it’s an autumnal rebirth.
“In a nutshell, I’m closing In Season for the summer and we’re going re-open [this fall] with a very chef-driven, weekly changing, tasting-menu only concept,” says Saunders. “We’ll only be open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. I’ll be cooking there, and the idea is that it’ll be an approachable tasting menu.”
Four-course meals at the new Saunders concept will cost diners between $40-50 he says, with optional upgrades. We’ll have details on the new name and decor when they’re available.
North 45° (opening late April)
1313 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
The newly re-opening Millennium Hotel Minneapolis will bring with it a new restaurant called North 45° which promisingly offers local brews and “a creative market-driven menu that includes locally sourced selections from Axdahl Farms, Cady Creek Cheese, Saint Agnes Bakery, Russet Potato Farms and more.”
The new spot also promises in a press release to “introduce molecular gastronomy to Minneapolis as part of its all-new catering menu,” a claim guaranteed to delight chefs at Travail, Victory 44, Heidi’s, and elsewhere.
The release goes on to explain that “molecular gastronomy is an artistic culinary technique that combines food and science to satisfy the pallet and wow the eye.” According to Wikipedia, a pallet is “a flat transport structure that supports goods in a stable fashion while being lifted by a forklift.”
Truce Juice (opening 2013)
1428 W 32nd St., Minneapolis,
If you’ve cruised around Hennepin Avenue south of Lake Street recently, you’ve probably notice a new spot at the corner of 32nd St. called Truce Juice — the concept is billed as “the first pressed juice bar in Minneapolis,” featuring hydraulically-pressed juice made “…daily, which distinguishes it from other juices and makes it one of the most nutritious beverages available.”
Ideal Diner (closed)
1314 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis
A reader tip that suggested that the “on vacation” Ideal Diner in Northeast was, in fact, out of business. An Apr. 6 Facebook post confirms that the business has shut its doors for good.
- Royal Bangkok, 315 University Ave., St. Paul | 651-788-9582
- Potter’s Pasties, 1828 Como Ave. SE, Minneapolis | 12-819-3107
- Up Cafe, 1901 Traffic St. NE, Minneapolis, MN | 612.385.2556.
- Smoke in the Pit, 3733 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.315.3145
- Midori’s Floating World, 2629 E Lake St, Minneapolis. Had been closed temporarily due to water main break. | 612.721.3011
- Spill the Wine, 901 West Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.339.3388
- Origami Uptown, 1354 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. | 612.223.8666
- Hello Pizza, 3904 Sunnyside Rd, Edina. Read our review here.
- Morrissey’s Irish Pub, 913 W Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.465.8555
- Hello Pizza, 3904 Sunnyside Rd, Edina | 952.303.4514
- Franklin Restaurant, 137 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis. Formerly Azima.
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.824.4052
- Sushi Fix, 862 E Lake St, Wayzata | 612.532.0305
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Little Sushi on the Prairie, 8353 Crystal View Rd., Eden Prairie
- Ideal Diner, 1314 Central Ave. NE, Minneapolis
- Kat’s Kitchen, St. Paul skyway
- Primebar, 3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- Cupcake Caramel by Sweets Bakeshop, 4747 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis; 2042 Marshall Ave, St. Paul.
- Glory Days Bar & Grill, 500 5th Ave NW, New Brighton
- Kinsen Noodles and Bar, 1300 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis
- Fischerville Coffee House, 2150 Dodd Rd, Mendota Heights
- Dean’s Tavern, 1986 Rice St, Maplewood
- Midway Rendezvous Coffee, 518 Snelling Ave N, St. Paul
- North 45°, 1313 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis | 612.332.6000. Opens late April.
- Ling & Louie’s Kitchen, 9th St. and Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
- The Tangiers, North Loop. 116 1st Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.599.2651. Opens May 2013.
- Zeke’s Unchained Animal, 3508 E Lake St, Minneapolis | 612.720.9878
- The Nicollet Diner, 1428 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this spring.
- Terzo, 2221 W 50th St, Minneapolis. New wine bar from Broders; opens this spring.
- Tiny Diner, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis | 612.822.6302
- Marin, 901 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens summer 2013.
- Unnamed Gastrotruck restaurant, 2400 University Ave NE, Minneapolis. Opens in 2013.
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th and Chicago, Minneapolis. Opens in 2013.
- Sandcastle, Lake Nokomis, Minneapolis. Doug Flicker’s concessionaire restaurant at the lake. Opens spring 2013.
- Town Hall Tap, 5019 34th Ave S, Minneapolis
- Loose-Wiles Freehouse, 701 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens September.
- Kitty’s Corner Cafe, 806 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis
- Tacos, Nachos and Beer, 5 W 7th Pl, St. Paul. Opens this winter. | 651.756.7286
- Daily Diner Frogtown, 615 University Ave, St. Paul. Opens April 15. | 651.789.7661
- Bang Brewing, 2320 Capp Rd, St. Paul. Opens in 2013.
- French Meadow, 1662 Grand Ave, St. Paul. Opens in 2013.
- Burning Brothers Brewery, 1750 Thomas Ave, St. Paul.
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Tin Bins, near the corner of Main and Nelson Streets, Commander Grain Elevator, Stillwater. May 2013.
- Sakana Sushi and Hibachi, Plymouth. June.
- Travail, Pig Ate My Pizza, and The Rookery, Robbinsdale. Fall 2013.
- Forever Yogurt, The Shops at West End, I-394 & 100. Opens before summer of 2013.
- Egg and Pie Diner, 222 N Chestnut St, Chaska | 612.227.6999
- Tavern 4 & 5, 16396 Wagner Way, Eden Prairie. Opens in late April.
- Hammerheart Brewing, 7785 Lake Dr, Lino Lakes. Opens in 2013. | 651.964.2160
- Sawatdee, 13300 Technology Dr, Eden Prairie. Opens in 2013.
- Osaka Seafood and Steakhouse, Woodbury Lakes, Woodbury. Opens in 2013.
- Punch Pizza, City Centre Dr, Woodbury. Opens June 2013.
- Black Sea, 1581 E County Road E, White Bear Lake
- Crooked Pint Ale House, Apple Valley
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by the Heavy Table. If you have tips for The Tap, please email James Norton at email@example.com.