The Tap: Restaurant Openings and Closings in Late November
This week in The Tap: A look ahead at upcoming restaurants in the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, notes about spots that have closed, and about those that have recently opened.
The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor James Norton at email@example.com.
- Bull’s Horn, 4563 34th Ave S, Minneapolis | Doug Flicker’s meaty, burger-forward revamp and reinvention of the former Sunrise Inn space. Review coming this week.
- Lucky Oven Bakery, 5401 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | Scratch-made baked goods from a former Red Wagon pizza employee.
- Loulou Sweet & Savory, 2839 Emerson Ave S, Minneapolis | Yet another rolled ice cream spot; we’ve gone from 0 to 3 in a few months.
- Martina, 4312 Upton Ave S, Minneapolis | The former Upton 43 space has become an Argentine- and Italian-inspired spot by Daniel del Prado, formerly of Burch.
- Urban Forage Taproom, 3016 E Lake St, Minneapolis
- NOLO’s Kitchen and Bar and The Basement Bar, 515 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis
- Sisters’ Sludge (relocated), 3746 23rd Ave S, Minneapolis | A fresh start for the popular Minneapolis cafe, including beer and wine.
- Benedict’s, 845 E Lake St, Wayzata | A “modern diner” focused on breakfast fare.
- Twin Cities 400 Tavern, 1330 Industrial Blvd NE, Minneapolis | A new collaboration between Scalzo Hospitality and Parasole.
- Five Watt Northeast, 861 E Hennepin Ave | A second location for the popular Eat Street coffeehouse and roastery, including an expanded food menu. As featured in the Hot Five.
- Rebel Donut Bar, 1226 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | More action within the “fancy doughnut” sphere, but in this case, miniaturized.
- The Market House Collaborative, 289 5th St E, St Paul | Now open: OctoFish Bar. As per the Shea designers: “The space will include a seafood market, a casual seafood restaurant, a boutique butcher shop, and a bakery, and we can’t wait to kick off.” Vendors are reported to include The Salty Tart bakery, a Peterson Meats full-service butcher shop, Almanac Fish Market.
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Bottle Rocket (our review here)
- Puperseria la Palmera (reopening as a Hamburguesas el Gordo). Our visit to Pupuseria la Palmera here; our visit to the Payne Avenue Hamburguesas el Gordo here.
- Obento-Ya (will be replaced with a second Ramen Kazama location).
- Triple Rock Social Club
- Pepitos (may reopen as a Sonora Grill concept).
- Fig + Farro, 3001 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | Late winter | Vegetarian food in the semi-cursed former Figlio’s space.
- The Hasty Tasty, 701 W Lake St, Minneapolis | December | New American with an emphasis on wood-fired food.
- Venn Brewing, 3550 E 46th St Suite 140, Minneapolis | Dec. 16
- Prime Six, 609 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | Mid-December | A mishmash of everything upscale from around the world, plus a dance floor.
- Nye’s, 112 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 2018 | A reboot of the legendary Nye’s Polonaise, in a new space at the same location, renovated and sans food.
- Sonder Shaker, 130 E Hennepin, Minneapolis | Early 2018 | A new restaurant and cocktail bar also on the site of the old Nye’s Polonaise.
- Cafe Limón, 3500 Bloomington Ave S, Minneapolis | likely soon | Going into the old La Ceiba space, possibly a reboot of Hector Ruiz’s old Cafe Limón at Lyn-Lake.
- Popol Vuh and Centro | ??? | A two-restaurants-in-one (a la Birdie and Nighthawks) high-concept/street-food purveyor with a Mexican emphasis. From the team behind the successful Lyn65 in Richfield. UPDATE, 11/27/17: The website is down, which is never a great sign.
- Moon Palace Books, 3032 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis | Early 2018 | The bookstore has moved two blocks north of its previous location; the restaurant portion should be open early next year.
- Diamond BBQ, 5400 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | End of 2017 | Barbecue, escargot, beef tartare, and more. By Daniel del Prado of the just-opened Martina.
- The Sioux Chef Restaurant at Water Works (on the Mississippi, behind the Mill City Museum) | 2019
- Sift Gluten-Free Bakery, 4557 Bloomington Ave S, Minneapolis | Soon
- Book Club, 5411 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | Winter | A Kim Bartmann California fusion eatery, helmed by Asher Miller, in the former Cafe Maude space.
- Hai Hai, 2121 University Ave NE, Minneapolis | Nov. 29 | New Southeast Asian restaurant at the former Double Deuce location. By the team behind Hola Arepa.
- Minnesota Barbecue Company, 816 Lowry Ave NE, Minneapolis | 2017 | A Kansas-City-style barbecue place to be led by Chef Kale Thome of the Travail team (and a Kansas native). Doing pop-ups around town until the official opening.
- Funky Grits, 805 E 38th St, Minneapolis | Winter | A soul food spot in the home of the short-lived Hell’s Chicken and Fish.
- Malcolm Yards Market, 501 30th Ave SE, Minneapolis | 2018 | A food market that will capitalize on its proximity to Surly’s massive brewery/restaurant complex.
- Eureka Compass Vegan Food, 629 Aldine St, St. Paul | 2017 | Open a few days each week for lunch and dinner in the space the owners will renovate now that their Kickstarter campaign has succeeded.
- Keg and Case revitalization of the Schmidt Brewery, 928 W 7th St, St. Paul | 2018 | Featuring restaurants by the teams behind Corner Table, and Five Watt, plus Sweet Science ice cream.
- Parlour Bar, 271 W 7th St, St. Paul | Early 2018 | The popular Minneapolis Warehouse District bar-restaurant is branching out into St. Paul.
Greater Twin Cities Area and Beyond
- Oakhold Farmhouse Brewery, Midway Township | Late 2017 | Brewer Caleb Levar expects to be brewing in a month or two, pending a final inspection.
- Sound, 132 E Superior St, Duluth | Jan. 2018 | An ambitious new spot by Chef Patrick Moore, formerly of Silos at Pier B.
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by the Heavy Table. If you have tips for The Tap, please email James Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org.