Somos Peru, Rodizio Grill, Bon Vie Cafe and more
Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
March’s winner: Heidi Panelli of Fridley
Somos Peru (opens May 4)
6009 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.244.3400 | somosperurestaurant.com
Somos Peru is opening early next month in the former La Perla del Pacifico, giving the area a much-needed injection of South American food.
Co-owner Jorge Custodio said Peruvian cuisine was influenced by the sheer variety of climate, geography, and culture found in Peru. The coastal, jungle, and Andean highlands areas all force the use of different ingredients, and influence from indigenous peoples as well as immigrants from all over the world — especially Chinese, Italian, and Japanese — have created a mix of tastes and dishes that Somos Peru hopes to replicate properly.
Take ceviche, the popular fish dish “cooked” with citrus juice: “It was brought over from the Pacific Islanders and Japanese who ate raw fish,” Custodio said. “But due to the different ingredients found in Peru and the abundance of lime found on the coast, the lime became a main ingredient to season or cure the fish.”
Other examples Custodio gave are “Tallarines Verde,” an Italian-inspired dish of spaghetti with Peruvian basil and other spices; the Chinese-inspired “Lomo Saltado,” which combines beef strips and sliced potatoes with soy sauce and is cooked in a wok; or traditional Incan food like “Papa a la Huancaina” (a saucy potato dish) or “Parihuela,” a traditional seafood stew.
“Selecting the menu was one of the hardest things we had to do in starting the restaurant,” Custodio said. “We tried choosing at least one dish from every region in Peru while considering Minnesota’s location. It’s really not easy trying to get good quality Peruvian ingredients into Minnesota, and this alone took us about a month’s worth of research and contacting and even visiting a large number of distributors not only in the U.S. but also in Peru.”
Somos Peru will begin with a list of Peruvian beers and wines but hopes to expand to a full bar — including a pisco list — once it gets a liquor license.
Custodio said Somos Peru would open May 4.
Rodizio Grill (now open)
12197 Elm Creek Blvd N, Maple Grove | 763.657.1133 | rodiziogrill.com
Let’s hope Maple Grove is ready for a case of the meat sweats: Rodizio Grill, an all-you-can-eat, meat-on-skewers gorgefest a la Fogo de Chão, is now open. It’s the chain’s first Midwest location, so market research must show that Minnesotans really like their meat — Denver is the only other metro thus far boasting both churrascaria chains.
From a press release: “The premier Brazilian Steakhouse will be bringing Maple Grove their first authentic Brazilian Steakhouse, featuring over a dozen rotisserie grilled meats, perfectly seasoned and carved tableside by Brazilian Gauchos. Rodizio Grill is excited to bring the flavors of Brazil to Maple Grove, and is sure that their authentic flavors will be a big hit with the community.” So, it’s Brazilian?
Bon Vie Cafe / A Piece of Cake (combining later this spring)
Losing your lease stinks, but in Bon Vie Cafe’s case, it helps to own a building and bakery just down the street: the cafe will move into a remodeled A Piece of Cake later this spring or in early summer. Owner Mary Zahasky said the remodel would start soon and should only cause minimal interruption to the bakery, “perhaps just a few days closed.”
- Mona, 333 S 7th St, Minneapolis | 612.208.7675 | Find it on Facebook
- Selma’s Ice Cream, 3419 Saint Croix Trl S, Afton
- Bread and Pickle, 4135 W Lake Harriet Pkwy, Minneapolis | 612.767.9009 | Our take
- Tin Fish, 3000 E Calhoun Pkwy, Minneapolis | 612.823.5840 | thetinfish.net
- Rodizio Grill, 12197 Elm Creek Blvd N, Maple Grove | 763.657.1133 | rodiziogrill.com
- Lynden’s Soda Fountain, 490 Hamline Ave S, St. Paul | 651.235.5646 | lyndens.com
- Burnsville Ale House, 3809 Hwy 13, Burnsville (formerly The Edge Bar)
- Super Moon Buffet, 6445 Wayzata Blvd, St. Louis Park
- Wellman’s Pub, 26 5th St N, Minneapolis | 612.659.9000 | Find it on Facebook
- Sea Salt, 4801 Minnehaha Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.721.8990 | seasalteatery.wordpress.com
- Hajime Japanese, 10950 Club West Parkway NE, Blaine | 763.780.7944 | Find it on Facebook
- Sparks, 230 Cedar Lake Rd S, Minneapolis | 612.259.8943 | sparksmpls.com
- Harriet Brewing Taproom, 3036 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis | 612.225.2184 | harrietbrewing.com
- Bullwinkle Saloon, 1429 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis
- Original Pancake House, 1415 County Rd 101, Plymouth | 952.475.9151 | Find it on Facebook
- Ze’s Diner, 3448 Denmark Ave, Eagan | 612.207.6793 | Find it on Facebook
- Ipotli Indian Grill, 601 Marquette Ave S (Northstar Center skyway), Minneapolis
- Butcher and the Boar, 1121 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.222.7171 | Our take
- :D-Spot, 1993 Burns Ave, St. Paul | 651.738.8300 |Our take on the original
- Aida, 2208 W 66th St, Richfield | 612.866.5601 | Our take
- Droolin’ Moose, 9424 Lyndale Ave S, Bloomington | 952.451.9634 | droolinmoose.com
- Victoriano’s, 402 N Main St, Stillwater | 651.430.3700 | victorianospizza.weebly.com
- Fulton Brewing Taproom, 414 6th Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.333.3208 | fultonbeer.com
- Uncle Moe’s Deli & Drafts, 1501 University Ave SE, Minneapolis | 612.886.2553 | unclemoesdeli.com
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- Risotto, 610 W Lake St, Minneapolis
- Royal Orchid, 625 Marquette Ave (skyway), Minneapolis
- Acropol Inn, 748 Grand Ave, St. Paul
- Caribe, 791 Raymond Ave, St. Paul
- Nick and Eddie, 1612 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis
- The Lunch Box, 950 Nicollet Ave (Retek on the Mall skyway), Minneapolis
- Franklin Street Bakery, 3904 Sunnyside Rd, Edina | franklinstreetbakery.com
- Azia Market Bar & Restaurant, 2550 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in late April. | 612.813.1200 | Find it on Facebook
- Angel Food Bakery, 80 S 9th St, Minneapolis. Opens in late April. | hellskitcheninc.com
- Devil’s Advocate, 89 S 10th St, Minneapolis. Opens May 7.
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens in May.
- The Left Handed Cook, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market). Opens in May. | Find it on Facebook
- New Nick and Eddie Warehouse / Speakeasy, 1621 1/2 Harmon Alley, Minneapolis. Opens in May.
- Nadia Cakes, 11650 Fountains Dr, Suite 207, Maple Grove. Opens May 15. | nadiacakes.com
- Well Seasoned, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market). Opens this spring. | 612.886.2489 | wellseasonedmpls.com
- Maruso Street Food and Cocktails, 715 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this spring.
- Cowboy Jack’s, 126 5th St N, Minneapolis. Opens this spring. | theaftermidnightgroup.com
- George and the Dragon, 813 W 50th St, Minneapolis. Opens this spring. | 612.355.9114 | ganddpub.com
- Ike’s, 17805 Hwy 7, Minnetonka. Opens this spring. | ilikeikes.com
- Somos Peru, 6009 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens May 4. | 612.244.3400 | somosperurestaurant.com
- Casper’s Cherokee Sirloin Room, 4625 Nicols Rd, Eagan. Reopens May 7 after fire. | casperscherokee.com
- Icehouse, 2528 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in May. | Find it on Facebook
- Harriet Brasserie, 2724 W 43rd St, Minneapolis. Opens in early May.
- J.J.’s Coffee Company & Wine Bar, 1800 W Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens in May. | Our take on the original
- Little Tijuana, 17 E 26th St, Minneapolis. Reopening this spring. | Find it on Facebook
- Cafe Maude at Loring, 1612 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis | cafemaude.com
- Masu Sushi & Robata, Mall of America. Opens this spring. | Our take on the original
- Bar Louie, 1320 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this spring. | barlouieamerica.com
- Birdhouse, 2516 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this spring. | Find it on Facebook
- Sweet Ducky Cupcakery, 117 W Churchill St #2, Stillwater. Opens this spring. | 651.472.1150 | Find it on Facebook
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens this spring. | thebdp.com
- Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub, 2724 E 38th St, Minneapolis. Opens this summer. | 612.328.1450 | northboundbrewpub.com
- Cupcake, 949 Grand Ave, St. Paul. Opens this summer. | cup-cake.com
- Smack Shack, Washington Ave N and 6th Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens this summer. | smack-shack.com
- Excelsior Brewing Company, 421 3rd St, Excelsior. Beers available on tap this summer. | 952.474.7837 | excelsiorbrew.com
- Pizza Luce, 800 W 66th St, Richfield. Opens in June. | pizzaluce.com
- Tavern Grill, 772 Bielenberg Dr, Woodbury. Opens in June.
- El Burrito Mercado, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market). Opens in June. | elburritomercado.com
- People’s Organic, IDS Center Crystal Court, Minneapolis. Opens July 2. | peoplesorganic.com
- Bon Vie Cafe / A Piece of Cake, combining later this spring at 485 Selby Ave, St. Paul | 651.846.0016 | bonviecafe.net, apieceofcakebakery.net
- Raku Modern Japanese Cuisine, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park. Opens this summer. | rakumn.com
- Candyland, 212 N Main St, Stillwater. Opens this summer. | candylandstore.com
- TruBerry Frozen Yogurt, 949 Grand Ave, St. Paul. Opens this summer.
- The Pourhouse, 10 5th St S, Minneapolis. Opens this summer.
- New Bohemia, 233 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- La Loma, Town Square skyway (6th St and Cedar St), St. Paul. Opens this summer. | lalomatamales.com
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, Penn Ave S and American Blvd, Bloomington. Opens in August. | moes.com
- Primebar, 3001 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | restaurants-america.com
- Indeed Brewing, 711 15th Ave NE, Minneapolis. Opens this summer. | 612.643.1226 | indeedbrewing.com
- Sole Mio, 1750 Weir Dr, Woodbury. Opens in July.
- Cossetta’s, 211 7th St W, St. Paul. Existing market opening new rooftop restaurant; opens this summer. | 651.222.3476 | cossettaeventi.com
- New Don Saunders restaurant, 2115 W 21st St (old Kenwood Cafe), Minneapolis | Our take on Saunders’ In Season
- Blood and Chocolates, 495 Selby Ave, St. Paul. Opens in 2012. | 651.492.4799 | Find it on Facebook
- Dangerous Man Brewing, 1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis | 612.377.4164 | dangerousmanbrewing.wordpress.com
- The Original Just Turkey Restaurant, 3758 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | originaljustturkey.com
- Rusty Taco, 522 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | Our take on the original
- Alley Sports Tavern, 100 6th St N, Minneapolis
- Unnamed rooftop restaurant in old Shinders, 733 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
- Unnamed Kim Bartmann restaurant, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis
- :D-Spot, Dinkytown, Minneapolis | Our take on the original
- Pistol Pete’s BBQ, 222 N Chestnut St, Chaska
- Damera Ethiopian Bar & Restaurant, 823 University Ave, St. Paul
- Dilla’s Ethiopian Restaurant, 1813 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis
- Chopstiks Cafe, 501 University Ave, St. Paul
- Ruze Bakery and Lounge, 4669 Lakeland Ave N, Robbinsdale | ruzebakery.com
- Burger Night, Minneapolis. Still looking for location. | 612.217.0102 | burgernight.me
- Humble Pie, 822 W 36th St., Minneapolis. Kim Bartmann’s revamp of Gigi’s. | 612.825.0818
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th St and Chicago Ave, Minneapolis. Opens late 2012 / early 2013.
The Tap is The Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker, and will be published biweekly. If you already subscribe to our newsletter, look for an emailed version of The Tap every other week — otherwise, you can find it on the website on alternating Tuesdays.
If you’ve got tips for The Tap, please email Jason Walker at email@example.com. The Tap’s Twitter feed has moved to @heavytable.