Tapas-focused Rincon 38 Coming in Early 2013
Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
November’s winner: Suzanne LaPalm of Oakdale
Rincon 38 (opening in 2013)
3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.824.4052
Almost a year after it was announced, Rincon 38 finally is on track to open. Chef / Owner Hector Ruiz said if all went smoothly with the city permitting process, his neighborhood tapas joint could open in late January.
Ruiz, who also operates Cafe Ena and was behind the recently shuttered El Meson, said Rincon 38 would have a Spanish-themed menu of small plates that would share French and Italian influences. A small corner space, Rincon 38 will seat just 35, with a seasonal patio adding a few additional seats on this South Minneapolis corner already boasting Victor’s 1959 Café and the Grand Cafe.
Ruiz’s menu will consist of a few entrees but mostly tapas, like citrus-infused asparagus with garlic cream sauce and truffle shavings; a cardamom-crusted scallop over a four-cheese polenta with caramelized shallots and pineapple; and chorizo with roasted artichokes, asparagus, and onions in a sherry glaze.
“I’m pretty excited and the neighborhood is excited,” Ruiz said. “A lot of people are just waiting … we’ve been getting a lot of requests for that restaurant. We’re doing our final inspections and still waiting for chairs, stuff like that — doing the final preparations.”
Rincon 38 will be open from 3pm to midnight and offer wine and beer, including a largely Spanish, French, and Italian wine list. The menu will be affordable, according to Ruiz, with prices around $18 for an entree and small plates between $5-$14.
“When you go places like Cafe Ena and get scallops or risotto, it’s a generous portion,” he said. “Here you get a medium-sized plate that will cost you $7 for fewer ounces so you can try more things.”
Winter can be a slow time for restaurant openings, but Ruiz said given Rincon 38’s small size he’s ready to use the colder months as a training period for his staff.
“When it’s cold out I won’t get slammed. It’s a small dining room. I’d rather do it that way,” he said. “In spring, we’ll have lots of people, and the restaurant is so tiny, I’ve got nine tables and some counter seating. I just don’t want to make people pissed off. It’s first-come, first-served seating. Reservations will be really tough when you only have nine tables.”
“I’m not trying to compete with Victor’s or Grand Cafe, I just want to concentrate on the dinner side and just want to have fun. That’s what I like about my job: that I can create whatever sounds good and is fun.”
Borough and Parlour (opens Jan. 2)
730 Washington Ave, Minneapolis | 612.387.1613
Wow, this came out of nowhere: A new North Loop restaurant (Borough) and downstairs bar (Parlour) are set to open in the next couple of weeks. According to Stephanie March, the chefs behind Borough are Tyler Shipton, a Bar La Grassa and Porter & Frye vet, and Nick O’Leary, who has worked with Sameh Wadi. The menu sounds like it’ll be a mix of entrees and high-end pub fare.
The separate bar, led by Jesse Held, will be high on Eat Street Social-style hand-crafted cocktails. Very exciting.
2929 E 25th St, Minneapolis | 612.353.6089
The replacement for Cake Eater Bakery in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis, the Donut Cooperative had some fervent fans and a laudable message. But it wasn’t enough, as according to its Facebook page the bakery is scheduled to close this Sunday after the cooperative lost its main partner and therefore its main capital.
The Cooperative originally began as a Kickstarter-funded home-based business and expanded to the retail outlet in fall 2011.
- Bangkok Thai Deli, 333 University Ave, St. Paul. Reopened in new location. | 651.224.4300
- Sakana Sushi & Asian Bistro, 740 Cleveland Ave S, St. Paul
- Eat Street Eatery, 2718 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Redstone American Grill, 12109 Main St, Maple Grove | 763.420.0232
- Pour Decisions Brewery, 1744 Terrace Dr, Roseville | 612.567.6871
- Ward 6, 858 Payne Ave, St. Paul | 651.348.8181
- French Hen, 518 Selby Ave, St. Paul | 651.222.6201
- World Street Kitchen, 2743 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.840.2522
- Publika Tea and Coffee Union, 1315 4th St SE, Minneapolis | 612.378.0700
- Bullpen Sports Saloon, 395 Robert St N, St. Paul | 651.335.7503
- Kinney Creek Brewery, 1016 7th St NW, Rochester | 507.282.2739
- Raku Modern Japanese Cuisine, 5371 W 16th St (Shops at West End), St. Louis Park | 952.378.1803
- Taste of Love Bakery, 870 Dodd Rd, West St. Paul | 651.321.4455
- Sweet Ducky Cupcakery, 117 W Churchill St #2, Stillwater | 651.472.1150
- Lucky’s 13 Pub, 3000 Harbor Ln N, Plymouth
- Republic, 3001 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.886.2309
- Union, 733 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.455.6690
- Beacon Public House, 615 Washington Ave SE (in the Commons Hotel), Minneapolis | 612.379.8888
- Nuff, 2851 Johnson St NE, Minneapolis |
- People’s Organic, 12934 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka | 952.938.4140
- Louis, 211 7th St W, St. Paul. Cossetta’s new rooftop restaurant | 651.222.3476
- QuickFire Pizza, 116 S Main St, Stillwater | 651.439.7009
- Ultimate Cafe, 11111 Greenbrier Rd, Minnetonka | 952.241.8500
- Yogurt Lab, 5007 France Ave S, Minneapolis; 309 SE Oak St, Minneapolis | 612.315.3651
- Steak America, 2400 Cliff Rd, Burnsville | 763.258.6881
- Chez Arnaud, 1085 Grand Ave, St. Paul | 651.330.4453
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- The Donut Cooperative, 2929 E 25th St, Minneapolis. Closing Dec. 23. | 612.353.6089
- Kiev Foods, 2500 7th St W, St. Paul
- King and I Thai, 1346 LaSalle Ave S, Minneapolis
- The Public House, 700 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis
- Kikugawa, 43 Main St SE, Minneapolis
- Tii Cup, 6521 Nicollet Ave, Richfield. Closing end of 2012. | 612.594.6521
- Zeke’s Unchained Animal, 3508 E Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens Dec. 31. | 612.720.9878
- Northgate Brewing, 3134 California St NE, Minneapolis | 612.234.1056
- Borough and Parlour, 730 Washington Ave, Minneapolis. Opens Jan. 2. | 612.387.1613
- Smack Shack, Washington Ave N and 6th Ave N, Minneapolis. Opens in January.
- Dangerous Man Brewing, 1300 2nd St NE, Minneapolis. Opens in January. | 612.209.2626
- Parka, 4023 E Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens early 2013.
- One Two Three Sushi, 80 S 8th St (IDS Center Skyway), Minneapolis. Opens early 2013.
- 612 Brew tap room, 945 Broadway St NE, Minneapolis. Opens early 2013. | 612.217.0437
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis
- The Original Just Turkey Restaurant, 3758 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis
- Tangiers Eatery and Lounge, 116 First Ave N, Minneapolis.
- Rincon 38, 3801 Grand Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.408.7063
- Red Cow, 3624 W 50th St, Minneapolis. Opens in 2013.
- Burch, 1942 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Isaac Becker’s planned steakhouse in old Burch Pharmacy; opens early 2013.
- Origami, 1352 Lagoon Ave, Minneapolis. Moving from Minnetonka location.
- Seward Cafe, 2129 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis. Opening for dinner service. | 612.332.1011
- Broders Wine Bar, 2221 W 50th St, Minneapolis
- Tiny Diner, 1014 E 38th St, Minneapolis | 612.822.6302
- Spill the Wine, Lake and Bryant, Minneapolis. Moving from downtown location in April 2013. | 612.339.3388
- Morrissey’s Irish Pub, 913 W Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens early 2013.
- Rocky and Shem’s Ice Cream Shoppe, 56th and Chicago, Minneapolis.
- Sandcastle, Lake Nokomis, Minneapolis. Doug Flicker’s concessionaire restaurant at the lake. Opens spring 2013.
- Town Hall Tap, 5019 34th Ave S, Minneapolis
- Bang Brewing, 2320 Capp Rd, St. Paul. Opens in 2013.
- French Meadow, 1662 Grand Ave, St. Paul. Opens in 2013.
Greater Twin Cities Area
- Steel Toe Brewing Taproom, 4848 W 35th St, St. Louis Park. Opens late 2012. | 952.955.9965
- Hammerheart Brewing, 7785 Lake Dr, Lino Lakes. Opens early 2013. | 651.964.2160
- Hello Pizza, 3904 Sunnyside Rd, Edina. Opens early 2013.
- Sushi Fix, 862 E Lake St, Wayzata. Opens early 2013. | 612.532.0305
- Osaka Seafood and Steakhouse, Woodbury Lakes, Woodbury. Opens early 2013.
- Punch Pizza, City Centre Dr, Woodbury. Opens June 2013.
The Tap is the Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled and published biweekly by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker. If you have tips for The Tap, please email Jason at email@example.com.