Ottolenghi’s Carrot and Peas
With its emphasis on fresh and seasonal herbs and vegetables and Middle Eastern flair, Ottolenghi, a chain of three high-end take out (and one sit-down) restaurants in London, England, is sizzling hot. Co-owner Yotam Ottolenghi pens the Guardian’s The New Vegetarian column weekly and wrote, with his partner Sami Tamimi, a cookbook, Ottolenghi: The Cookbook, featuring recipes from the restaurant. The below recipe, which yields carrots that still have a bit of a bite to them, has been adapted from the cookbook.
If you’re looking for something new to do with all of those snappy, bright carrots that have been showing up in CSA boxes over the past few weeks, try Ottolenghi’s Carrot and Peas.
4 ½ oz orange juice
2 oz red wine
2 oz honey
2 cinnamon sticks
4 star anise
1½ tbsp coriander seeds
2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut at an angle
3 oz olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 lb shelled peas, fresh or frozen
salt and pepper
Garnish: 2 ½ oz pea shoots (optional)
- To make the sauce, pour orange juice, wine, and honey into a saucepan. Add the cinnamon and star anise and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered 20-40 minutes until reduced to a third. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Heat a small frying pan over high heat. Add the coriander seeds and dry toast them for about three minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the toasted coriander seeds, carrots, olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Spread the carrot mixture out on a large baking tray and bake in oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven and add the sweet sauce (including cinnamon and star anise). Stir well and return to the oven for seven minutes, until the carrots are cooked through, but still have some crunch.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add the peas. Simmer for one minute, then drain into a colander. Run under cold water, then drain.
- Gently stir together carrots and peas.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile vegetables on to a serving plate.
- Garnish with pea shoots.
There are no comments yet, add one below.