Adagio Cafe, Rosa Mexicano, and more
Readers: Win Heavy Table pint glasses
The Tap loves restaurant tips from readers, so we’re awarding a Heavy Table pint glass to the best tipster each month. The Tap is the metro area’s comprehensive restaurant buzz roundup, so if you see a new or newly shuttered restaurant, or anything that’s “coming soon,” email Tap editor Jason Walker at email@example.com.
August’s winner: Chris Heck of Minneapolis
Adagio Café (now open)
5001 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.922.2233 |Find it on Facebook
Yet another coffeehouse has opened at 50th St and Penn in South Minneapolis, and owner Chris Yeager hopes his version has staying power. Adagio Café replaces Dragonfly Coffee, which closed in March after being open for about two years.
Yeager is humbly confident his shop can succeed because of both his dedication to high-quality coffee and food and his relationships with customers. He called Adagio a “work in progress” that could be tweaked here and there based on neighborhood input.
“I’m constantly listening to customer feedback and either adding items or adjusting the prices to stay competitive,” he said. “I see soups and sandwiches in our future, but I’m still developing my strategy to maintain consistent and high-quality products that fit in my eight-foot-by-eight-foot kitchen.”
Adagio gets its coffee from B&W Specialty Coffee in NE Minneapolis, which Yeager said yielded a source of good small-business advice from B&W’s Alex Woehrlin, the former owner of Gigi’s Café, as well as a superior product line of coffees and syrups.
“We feature an amazing organic espresso that has powerful, sweet flavor,” Yeager said. “And our 20-ounce espresso drinks have four ounces of espresso that is guaranteed to taste great and get you going, and most cost less than $4. That’s a real value.”
Adagio now has a short menu of baked goods sourced from Nikola’s Bakery in Bloomington, but Yeager said he’s talked with Minneapolis’ Patisserie 46, Patisserie Margo in Edina, and Grandma’s Bakery of White Bear Lake about expanding his food offerings.
Sounds like Yeager wants to give the neighborhood what it wants; as far as the space goes, maybe the third time will be the charm.
“When I saw it, I knew it was the right location,” Yeager said. “I just want to make a great neighborhood coffee shop.”
Rosa Mexicano (now open)
609 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis | 612.656.7144 | rosamexicano.com
Now open in a prime space along Hennepin Avenue is Rosa Mexicano, the 12th location of a chain described as upscale Mexican cuisine “in an accessible and stylish setting.”
The company trumpets its tableside-prepared guacamole and dishes like Tacos de Panza con Callos de Hacha, or braised pork belly and seared scallops on warm corn tortillas with citrus-habanero salsa; and Tablones, or short ribs with tomatillo-chipotle sauce, rajas (strips of chilies), and charro beans.
The huge space also has a tequila-focused bar and what sounds like quite an interior. Via press release: “The 325-seat restaurant features spacious indoor, outdoor, and private dining areas bathed in Rosa Mexicano’s signature vibrant hues of vivid pinks, deep purples, bright reds and warm oranges. Design incorporates traditional Mexican craftwork and adornments including an electric-blue-tiled diver pool inspired by those at sister Rosa Mexicano locations, clay pottery, Mayan Indian textiles, and wood pilasters.” Holy guacamole.
Rosa seems to know real estate, as its 11 other locations are in some pretty good spots, like three in Manhattan, but this is their first in the Midwest.
“We are thrilled to join such a vibrant culinary community,” said Rosa Mexicano CEO Howard Greenstone.
Rosa Mexicano is open at 11am daily.
- Maeve’s Cafe, 300 13th Ave NE, Minneapolis | 612.379.1033 | Find it on Facebook
- Zen Box Izakaya, 602 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.332.3936 | Find it on Facebook
- Pat’s Tap, 3510 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.822.8216 | Find it on Facebook
- Rosa Mexicano, 6th St and Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis (in City Center next to Fogo de Chao) | rosamexicano.com
- Sweet Bebe Cakes, 409 15th Ave N, South St. Paul | 651.457.5082 | sweetbebecakes.com
- Pit Stop Chill & Grill, 4000 6th St NE, Columbia Heights | 763.789.7867 | Find it on Facebook
- Carmine’s, 9900 Valley Creek Rd, Woodbury | 651.730.4500 | carmineswoodbury.com
- DixieBlue BarBQue, 2330 Cloud Dr, Suite 101, Blaine | 763.208.9394 | dixiebluebbq.com
- St. Louis Park Woodfire Grill, 6501 Wayzata Blvd, St. Louis Park | 952.345.0505 | slpwoodfiregrill.com
- Joan’s in the Park, 631 Snelling Ave S, St. Paul | 651.690.3297 | joansinthepark.com
- Chez Arnaud, 4735 Highway 61, White Bear Lake | myfrenchbakery.net
- Crooked Pint Ale House, 501 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.877.6900 | crookedpint.com
- Amsterdam, 6 W 6th St, St. Paul | Find it on Facebook
- Adagio Cafe, 5001 Penn Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.922.2233 | Find it on Facebook
- Hot Diggity Dog, 614 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis
- Deg Deg Grill, 2910 Pillsbury Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.825.1466
- Firehouse Subs, 2303 White Bear Ave, Maplewood | 651.731.7827 | firehousesubs.com
- Sonora Grill, 920 E Lake St, Minneapolis (Midtown Global Market) | 612.871.1900 | Our take
- Steel Toe Brewing, 4848 W 35th St, St. Louis Park | steeltoebrewing.com
- Mi Sinaloa, 3801 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis
- Urban Bean, 2401 Lyndale Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.200.8051 | urbanbeancoffee.com
- The Lowry, 2112 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.341.2112 | Find it on Facebook
- Claddagh Coffee, 459 W 7th, St. Paul | 651.600.3400 | Find it on Facebook
- McCormick’s Pub, 331 Broadway Ave S, Wayzata | 952.767.2417 | Find it on Facebook
- The Bachelor Farmer, 50 2nd Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.206.3920 | Our take
- El Loro Mexican Restaurant, 5689 Blaine Ave, Inver Grove Heights
- Andale Taqueria y Mercado, 7700 Nicollet Ave S, Richfield | 651.230.6498
- Bella Pizza, 14485 S Robert Trail, Rosemount | 651.322.1818 | bellapizzashop.com
- The Public House, 700 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis | 612.455.1213 | thepublichousempls.com
- Toppers, 702 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis and 1154 Grand Ave, St. Paul | toppers.com
- Little Szechuan, 5377 16th St, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park | 952.322.7671 | littleszechuan.com
- Blue Ox Coffee Company, 3740 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis | 612.825.6650 | blueoxcoffeecompany.com
CLOSED / CLOSING:
- NorthCoast, 294 East Grove Lane, Wayzata
- Wayzata Eatery, 1179 Wayzata Blvd E, Wayzata
- Krua Thai, 432 University Ave W, St. Paul
- Hard Rock Cafe, 7th St and Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Closing Sept. 30. | hardrock.com
- Cold Stone Creamery, 600 Hennepin Ave (Block E), Minneapolis
- Murphy’s Alley, 344 Wabasha St N, St. Paul
- M&S Grill, 50 S 6th St #100, Minneapolis
- Tinucci’s, 2190 Eagle Creek Lane, Woodbury
- Mesa Pizza, 1440 W Lake St, Minneapolis. Opens Oct. 1. | mesapizzamn.com
- The Donut Cooperative, 2929 E 25th St, Minneapolis. Opens early October. | thedonutcooperative.com
- The Four Firkins, 5630 36th St, St. Louis Park (moving to new location). Opens Oct. 3. | 952.938.2847 | thefourfirkins.com
- Pig & Fiddle, 3808 W 50th St, Minneapolis. Opens early October.
- Rye Delicatessen & Bar, 1930 Hennepin Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens early October. | Find it on Facebook
- Stout’s Pub, 1611 Larpenteur Ave, Falcon Heights. Opens Oct. 26.
- Fasika, University Ave and Dale St, St. Paul (new Frogtown Square) | fasika.com
- Rincon 38, 38th St and Grand Ave, Minneapolis
- Humble Pie, 822 W 36th St., Minneapolis. Kim Bartmann’s revamp of Gigi’s. | 612.825.0818
- American Joe, 344 Wabasha St N, St. Paul. Opens this November.
- Eat Street Social, 14 W 26th St, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Icehouse, 2528 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis. Opens this fall.
- Pittsburgh Blue, 3200 Galleria (former Kozy’s), Edina. Opens this fall. |pittsburghbluesteak.com
- Rodizio Grill, 12197 Elm Creek Blvd N, Maple Grove. Opens this fall. | rodiziogrill.com
- Jason’s Deli, 7565 France Ave S, Edina. Opens in November. | jasonsdeli.com
- Butcher and the Boar, 1121 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis. Opens in December.
- Blue Door Pub, 3448 42nd Ave S, Minneapolis | thebdp.com
- El Loro, 2535 W. Highway 10, Mounds View
- Mojo Monkey Donuts, 1169 7th St W, St. Paul
- Zest! Bar and Grill, 525 Diffley Rd, Eagan
- Five Guys, 8360 3rd St N, Oakdale | fiveguys.com
- Cupcake, Grand Ave, St. Paul
- Burger Night, Minneapolis
- Kyoto Sushi, 13751 Grove Dr, Maple Grove | 763.488.1588 | kyotomn.com
- Smashburger, 2138 Ford Pkwy, St. Paul | smashburger.com
- Cranky’s Bicycle Bar, E Lake St, Minneapolis | Find it on Facebook
- Queen’s City Cafe, 2700 E Lake St
- Smokehouse Brewpub, 38th St and 28th Ave S, Minneapolis. Opens spring 2012.
- La Crepe Nanou, Huey’s 24 / 7 Diner, The Wine Loft, Shops at West End, St. Louis Park. Opening this fall. | lacrepenanou.com | hueys247diner.com | thewineloft.net
- YO!Sushi | Company says five metro locations coming, first in Minneapolis in 2011 | yosushi.com
The Tap is The Heavy Table’s guide to area restaurant openings, closings, and other major events. The Tap is compiled by Heavy Table writer Jason Walker, and will be published biweekly. If you already subscribe to our newsletter, look for an emailed version of The Tap every other week — otherwise, you can find it on the website on alternating Tuesdays. If you’ve got tips for The Tap, please email Jason Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Tap’s Twitter feed has moved to@heavytable.